Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #241
I, Vettezuki

Default Fuel Pump

What kind of fuel pump set up do we need?

I'm still considering between using a drop in the stock tank or getting serious and putting in a little fuel cell. But how much flow/pressure, etc. Sorry don't knwo much about this. All I know is that it's very low pressure.

Since we haven't bought a carb yet, and maybe a carb will flow enough for this small of an engine/blower, we could set it up for E85. It's basically race gas at the price of Super, with lots of awesome properties for forced induction. Do you guys want to consider this? I can buy it with CornFed in larger quantities and store it. We're going to have to transport fuel anyway. . . and it adds a little flavor. The major advantage for us is that it would allow to run a lot more timing (it's about 105 octane) and since it's 85% alcohol, it will massively cool the intake charge.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #242
I, Vettezuki

Default E85 Part Deux

Of course, there's no point to go after the advantages of E85 for more power, if we're going to be at the blocks limit with a simple mix of super and Race Gas or Torco. At what BHP do these blocks tend to do naughty things?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #243
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
What kind of fuel pump set up do we need?

I'm still considering between using a drop in the stock tank or getting serious and putting in a little fuel cell. But how much flow/pressure, etc. Sorry don't knwo much about this. All I know is that it's very low pressure.

Since we haven't bought a carb yet, and maybe a carb will flow enough for this small of an engine/blower, we could set it up for E85. It's basically race gas at the price of Super, with lots of awesome properties for forced induction. Do you guys want to consider this? I can buy it with CornFed in larger quantities and store it. We're going to have to transport fuel anyway. . . and it adds a little flavor.
4PSI, about a 100 GPH will support 600 HP. An Edelbrock/Carter racing mech pump is fine. The cheaper rail mount elec pumps are fine. Elec has the advantge of being hooked into a kill switch.(Both about $100)
Old 01-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #244
Power's off.

I forgot to mention I have a large Spal fan we can use/you can have. Have your buddy look for a used elec pump at Pomona.
We used to run with no belts, and a marine battery in the trunk for traction. Car ran all day on a full charge.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #245
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
I forgot to mention I have a large Spal fan we can use/you can have. Have your buddy look for a used elec pump at Pomona.
We used to run with no belts, and a marine battery in the trunk for traction. Car ran all day on a full charge.
Que es Spal fan? I have an electric fan that was donated by kdracer73. Size-wise it looks like it'll fit in the space for the rad just about perfect. Good to keep in mind though.

How much are marine batteries? Please provide a link to wat you're talking about as I know nuting.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #246
Power's off.

Quote:
Que es Spal fan? I have an electric fan that was donated by kdracer73. Size-wise it looks like it'll fit in the space for the rad just about perfect. Good to keep in mind though.

How much are marine batteries? Please provide a link to wat you're talking about as I know nuting.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marineflyer.php?id=8

That thing will put 120lbs over the rear axle, and run that car all day long on a charge.
No alt. No lights. Ignition draws approx 4 amps.
As I remember, we didn't even run a fan. Just a 12volt bilge pump for coolant circ. (Pretty advanced for 1973,huh?) I am quite sure the harmonic balancer didn't even have a pulley on it.
I don't have 1 dam picture of that car, dammit.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #247
Super Moderator

This is a budget project isn't it? We're going with a carb, the stock tank and a mechanical pump will be fine. I'd consider bending some 3/8 hardline for it, but that's about all that she'll need.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #248

I picked up an oil pan from an 87 Mustang today for $5 at the swap meet, if you wanna use that. I also picked up some other goodies for my 68 GT/CS. Unfortunately, no 174 blower parts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #249
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
I picked up an oil pan from an 87 Mustang today for $5 at the swap meet, if you wanna use that. I also picked up some other goodies for my 68 GT/CS. Unfortunately, no 174 blower parts.
I'm growing slightly concerned about finding the necessary parts for the 174. We'll need to have a backup.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #250
Power's off.

Quote:
I'm growing slightly concerned about finding the necessary parts for the 174. We'll need to have a backup.
Just distract Adam while I pull that blower off his Vette.