Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Chrysler Hires Jim Press

Yowser, the Cerberus equity group hired Jim Press, former big cheese of Toyota America and the only non-Japanese to have ever made it to the Toyota board of directors. From what I can tell about the team the investors have put in place, I'd have to say Chrysler has a fighting chance to reemerge as an automotive powerhouse. I'm a GM guy myself for the most part, but Chrysler's history is undeniable.

I'd love to see the American makers come back out as real winners with great fun products at common-man prices. The real question in the big picture will be the long term role of unions and how benefits, especially medical care will play out. It just doesn't matter if you've got good product at good prices, there comes a point when you simply cannot sell enough to support ever growing overhead.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yowser, the Cerberus equity group hired Jim Press, former big cheese of Toyota America and the only non-Japanese to have ever made it to the Toyota board of directors. From what I can tell about the team the investors have put in place, I'd have to say Chrysler has a fighting chance to reemerge as an automotive powerhouse. I'm a GM guy myself for the most part, but Chrysler's history is undeniable.

I'd love to see the American makers come back out as real winners with great fun products at common-man prices. The real question in the big picture will be the long term role of unions and how benefits, especially medical care will play out. It just doesn't matter if you've got good product at good prices, there comes a point when you simply cannot sell enough to support ever growing overhead.

There should be "Model T" thinking here, a car that everyone could efford. Hell, even the "RoadRunner" approch would have give them an edge. A good performance vehicle - bare bones - that is priced for us low income folk.

Last edited by BRUTAL64 : 03-18-2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
There should be "Model T" thinking here, a car that everyone could efford. Hell, even the "RoadRunning" approch would have give them an edge. A good performance vehicle - bare bones - that is priced for us low income folk.
I agree. They have some cool performance vehicles, but they're too damn expensive and heavy.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I agree. They have some cool performance vehicles, but they're too damn expensive and heavy.

The Challenger is going in the wrong direction. It will be even bigger than the original 1970s version. When the 1970 version came out we thought that was too big.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
The Challenger is going in the wrong direction. It will be even bigger than the original 1970s version. When the 1970 version came out we thought that was too big.
Exactly. I have an 04 Cobra and I remember when it came out how everyone was so upset that it weighed 3650lbs. In hindsight, that's light compared to what's coming out. The GT500 is in the 3900-4000lb range, and the new Challenger is 4150lbs
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Exactly. I have an 04 Cobra and I remember when it came out how everyone was so upset that it weighed 3650lbs. In hindsight, that's light compared to what's coming out. The GT500 is in the 3900-4000lb range, and the new Challenger is 4150lbs
Back in the day a 100 pound reduction was a 1/10 second in the quarter. I'm sure that applies now also.

BTW; I'm a FORD guy. I just own a Vette cause I could not affort a Cobra.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to bgn8711

Hell my fat ass buick only weighs 3,400 lbs! and it's a BUICK!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . . BTW; I'm a FORD guy. I just own a Vette cause I could not affort a Cobra.
Are you familiar with the Factory Five Mk3 Roadster? This looks like it'd be a hell of a fun project. I think you can do perfectly lovely finished versions for as little as $20k out of pocket, and get pretty vicious and sophisticated by around $30k. Not too bad considering what you're getting. With your resources on parts and donor cars, you might be able to do a cool one for well under $20k. If you haven't seen it it, you should get their media pack; it's free. Seems like they did an awefully nice engineering job. I'd like to build a GTM some day, maybe with an LS9. All I need is a lot more time and money.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Are you familiar with the Factory Five Mk3 Roadster? This looks like it'd be a hell of a fun project. I think you can do perfectly lovely finished versions for as little as $20k out of pocket, and get pretty vicious and sophisticated by around $30k. Not too bad considering what you're getting. With your resources on parts and donor cars, you might be able to do a cool one for well under $20k. If you haven't seen it it, you should get their media pack; it's free. Seems like they did an awefully nice engineering job. I'd like to build a GTM some day, maybe with an LS9. All I need is a lot more time and money.

I don't know if you were in on the conversation at Sat nites dinner, but I did almost sell my Vette to buy a kit Cobra. Just couldn't do it. Kinda attached to the old thing.

But if you have an extra $30,000 I CAN build one.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I don't know if you were in on the conversation at Sat nites dinner, but I did almost sell my Vette to buy a kit Cobra. Just couldn't do it. Kinda attached to the old thing.

But if you have an extra $30,000 I CAN build one.
If I had the money and time, I'd buy your C2 and turn it into one of three things:
1) Wicked track weapon. A.K.A. "The Black Widow". I'm thinking Nelson Racing Engine Twin Turbo. Black Satin Paint (sorry) with red hour glass on the hood and everything.
2) Hello Kitty themed daily driver for my wife.
3) Hello Kitty themed track weapon. See 1.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)