Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Gay!

My intake manifold gasket is leaking again. Wasn't even my fault this time, it's not leaking on either side of the gasket, it's seaping right through the gasket itself! Guess I didn't cover it with enough silicone. Still, what a cheap ass gasket to allow coolant to seap right through it. Think I'm going to demand a refund. So gay. Oh well, hopefully my $180 MLS HGs are okay.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
My intake manifold gasket is leaking again. Wasn't even my fault this time, it's not leaking on either side of the gasket, it's seaping right through the gasket itself! Guess I didn't cover it with enough silicone. Still, what a cheap ass gasket to allow coolant to seap right through it. Think I'm going to demand a refund. So gay. Oh well, hopefully my $180 MLS HGs are okay.
I don't think I've actually ever even heard of that before. I hope they don't make rubbers too.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I don't think I've actually ever even heard of that before. I hope they don't make rubbers too.
Haha, that's for sure. Just my luck, I find new problems with the most famously modded engine in the world! It's funny because it sealed last time, probably because last time I coated the gasket entirely with silicone adhesive.

So the FelPro gasket was too soft and pushed out under boost, the MrGasket gasket was hard enough to maintain shape but it's flippin porous!

Next time I'll be trying an Edelbrock steel core laminate composite gasket. I might even decide to put it on dry this time. I hope that none of that coolant leaked into the lifter valley, that would make 14 wasted quarts of new Mobil 1 in the last month.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Haha, that's for sure. Just my luck, I find new problems with the most famously modded engine in the world! It's funny because it sealed last time, probably because last time I coated the gasket entirely with silicone adhesive.

So the FelPro gasket was too soft and pushed out under boost, the MrGasket gasket was hard enough to maintain shape but it's flippin porous!

Next time I'll be trying an Edelbrock steel core laminate composite gasket. I might even decide to put it on dry this time. I hope that none of that coolant leaked into the lifter valley, that would make 14 wasted quarts of new Mobil 1 in the last month.
Cometic?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Do you mean their intake gaskets? They're made of aramid fiber, looks too porous for my liking. Mr Gasket has an expensive set that's rubber coated, I'm going to call and ask about those too.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Went with the Edelbrock one. Any votes as to whether I should put it on dry or not?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Neanderthal

Quote:
Went with the Edelbrock one. Any votes as to whether I should put it on dry or not?
Use sealer on the water ports and china wall gaskets ONLY. --is this too Gay also?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
Use sealer on the water ports and china wall gaskets ONLY. --is this too Gay also?
China wall gaskets? I have problems not using sealer around the ports, the gaskets tend to push out under boost. But this new gasket is a steel core so I might try putting it on dry, it shouldn't be able to bend in the middle.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
Neanderthal

Quote:
China wall gaskets? I have problems not using sealer around the ports, the gaskets tend to push out under boost. But this new gasket is a steel core so I might try putting it on dry, it shouldn't be able to bend in the middle.

Actually putting sealer on the intake ports could be the reason the gaskets blew out at the port.

China wall gaskets---the intake end gaskets on the front and rear of block.

One thing is bothering me here. Why, do you have a seeping gasket? The clamping of the gasket by the intake SHOULD have sealed the port. You MIGHT have another issue here. Hopefully, I'm thinking wrong here and it is just a shitty gasket.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
Actually putting sealer on the intake ports could be the reason the gaskets blew out at the port.

China wall gaskets---the intake end gaskets on the front and rear of block.

One thing is bothering me here. Why, do you have a seeping gasket? The clamping of the gasket by the intake SHOULD have sealed the port. You MIGHT have another issue here. Hopefully, I'm thinking wrong here and it is just a shitty gasket.
Yeah I'm scared too. Thinking that there might be a crack in the cylinder somewhere pressurizing the coolant system. Then again, I only torqued the gasket to 20 ft lbs and it was one of those extra thick ones at .12 versus the usual .06.

The oil still looks clean... Do you think a compression test would tell me anything?