Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
I did some checking on the code p0340 and most common repair is the cam sensor. I also found a TSB ( TSB 18-024-04 ) for missfires. Dodge says replace the plug wire and plug and have a ECM re-calibration. Printed it but have no way to copy and paste it. Our program at the shop won't allow it. I will be doing some work at my friends shop in MV tonight , if you want to grab it on your way home.
I can believe that. A few of the plug wires were arcing in my Neon when I first got it.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #32
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
I did some checking on the code p0340 and most common repair is the cam sensor. I also found a TSB ( TSB 18-024-04 ) for missfires. Dodge says replace the plug wire and plug and have a ECM re-calibration. Printed it but have no way to copy and paste it. Our program at the shop won't allow it. I will be doing some work at my friends shop in MV tonight , if you want to grab it on your way home.
yeah i was doing some digging and saw that the plug wires is a common problem for that misfire too, but don't know anything about the ecm recalibration. i don't have a ride back yet today so i'll let you know haha. i need to return your compression tester as well but it's at home.. (didn't want to bring it into work). do you have a way to fax that paper? if not then i'll swing by and grab it asap.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #33
Boost Junkie

if the new cam sensor doesn't fix the misfire then i'll be getting some nice new plugs. mopar ones are more expensive then aftermarket ones anyway...

what was weird is i don't think it was misfiring the other night, only sounds bad on idle (not like a misfire tho, more like i'm running some big cams haha). on throttle (gave it just a little bit of gas to hear if anything else was happening) it sounds PERFECT. no knocking, popping, misses, fuel cut or anything.

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 01-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
if the new cam sensor doesn't fix the misfire then i'll be getting some nice new plugs.
There are simple procedures for testing all these components if you want to give it a shot. If you have the repair manual from Dodge or possibly the ones found at auto parts stores, they should describe what to look for when testing with a multimeter or the like. It saves having to throw parts at your car.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #35
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
There are simple procedures for testing all these components if you want to give it a shot. If you have the repair manual from Dodge or possibly the ones found at auto parts stores, they should describe what to look for when testing with a multimeter or the like. It saves having to throw parts at your car.
What's a multimeter? Never heard of it... Is it expensive?

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #36
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
What's a multimeter? Never heard of it... Is it expensive?
You can prob pick up one at Sears for like $10, but the nice ones are several hundred. I have one you can borrow if you're that cheap.

You can't test the spark plug wires with a multimeter. The wire may be intact and show normal resistance, but that doesn't mean they're not arcing. No way to test insulation with a multimeter. Have your fiance rev the motor while you look at the engine in the dark, if you see sparks, bingo.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #37
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You can prob pick up one at Sears for like $10, but the nice ones are several hundred. I have one you can borrow if you're that cheap.

You can't test the spark plug wires with a multimeter. The wire may be intact and show normal resistance, but that doesn't mean they're not arcing. No way to test insulation with a multimeter. Have your fiance rev the motor while you look at the engine in the dark, if you see sparks, bingo.
Fill a water bottle with some water and a lil' bit of dish soap. While the engine is running spray a light mist over the engine. You'll see it clear as a bell if it's arcing. Why soap? Because it slows the rate of evaportion and makes the arc last a little longer. If it were just water finely misted it could be instantaneously vaporized by the discharge. Learned this from Tim or Glenn, can't remember.

This is what a multi-meter looks like. As enkei says, starts at about $10 and goes up to whatever you feel like spending.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #38
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Fill a water bottle with some water and a lil' bit of dish soap. While the engine is running spray a light mist over the engine. You'll see it clear as a bell if it's arcing. Why soap? Because it slows the rate of evaportion and makes the arc last a little longer. If it were just water finely misted it could be instantaneously vaporized by the discharge. Learned this from Tim or Glenn, can't remember.

This is what a multi-meter looks like. As enkei says, starts at about $10 and goes up to whatever you feel like spending.

You got that from Tim.

The meter shown is $2.99 on sale and about $5.99 when it's not at HB. I've got 4. Can only find 1.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #39
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

hmmm I'll have to try that!

OK, i thought that was a volt meter i guess or something, I've seen those. Theres an electrical repair kit I'm going to pick up that has one of those with it. Anyone know where to buy crimps and 8 gauge copper insulated wire? audio grade at least (redoin the grounds)

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
I printed the diagnostic chart for P0340. It is seven pages of voltage , resistance and scan tool, W/ lab scope, specific tests. I will give this to boostn and will loan him my multi meter if he wants it.