Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpalmer View Post
Those Evos are really quick out of the box, I too think it would make a really great DD... although not sure how they are on gas. One of my buddies that used to have an Evo IX gets low 15-20 mpg tops with mostly hwy driving, but he has a heavy foot. And you could have had him if you got on it earlier and had traction
Probably the biggest complaint about the EVo X is that it inhales fuel and has a relatively small tank. Fueling is a regular occurence if you drive much. One of the things I love about the Vette. Giant gas tank, and solid 25 mpg + on the Fwy.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Probably the biggest complaint about the EVo X is that it inhales fuel and has a relatively small tank. Fueling is a regular occurence if you drive much. One of the things I love about the Vette. Giant gas tank, and solid 25 mpg + on the Fwy.
The gas tank in the C3 is huge. People don't realize. It's like 24 gallons or something.

I've never filled it up.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #13

Good stuff!
The Evo X has a 14 gallon tank with short gearing made for the track with turns.
So when you are cruising at 70mph you are getting close to the 4000rpm range which is not that great for MPG
As long as you are not boost happy you can get around 19-20MPG city and 24-28MPG if you stay at 65mph which most don't

Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
The gas tank in the C3 is huge. People don't realize. It's like 24 gallons or something.

I've never filled it up.
That's not bad. That's the same as the Explorer. My Suburban has a 44 gallon tank. Depending on the price of gas and the amount that the station pre-auths when I use my card sometimes I have to run my card twice just to fill up the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassAppeal View Post
Good stuff!
The Evo X has a 14 gallon tank with short gearing made for the track with turns.
So when you are cruising at 70mph you are getting close to the 4000rpm range which is not that great for MPG
As long as you are not boost happy you can get around 19-20MPG city and 24-28MPG if you stay at 65mph which most don't
My Cobra has a 14 gallon tank as well but I have 3.55 gears so I'm not running anywhere near that rpm at 70.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassAppeal View Post
Good stuff!
Damn, I wonder if the 6 speed MRs had a better OD.

My Neon was around 4K at 75, then I swapped in a trans from a SOHC motor and its only at 3K at 80 now.

Ron, I've felt your pain. When we drive up to Tahoe we take turns filling up my friend's Silverado Diesel tank. And once when we went up it was over $5 a gallon, and he has a monster tank too. It is a serious expense just to fill those things.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
. . . My Cobra has a 14 gallon tank as well but I have 3.55 gears so I'm not running anywhere near that rpm at 70.
That double OD in the T56 is kind of a hoot. Even with 3.73 I'm about 80~ at 2,000RPM in sixth. I'm damn near idling at 65.

I drive the Vette fairly mellow most of the time. I guess you could learn not to hammer the boost all the time. Maybe the difference though is that high comp NA motor is pretty torqy at low revs; easy to short shift everywhere if you want. With a smaller boosted motor, it's just not making the same power/torque at lower revs so the temptation would always be to step on it a little bit. Interesting trade offs.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
Fast & Filthy

Your T56 must have the .50 6th. Mine is .62 with the .80 5th so I'm at somewhere around 2200 at 70 I think but I don't remember.

When I tested my fuel millage back when we had the fuel millage thread for boosted cars I was shifting at 2000rpms for each gear change. Surprisingly my Cobra has quite a bit of torque below 2000. When I cruise on city streets where the speed limit is 40-45 I'm usually in 5th gear turning around 1400rpms. My car idles at 1000.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Yeah we were talking about this when Sean got mad at my claim that 55 wasn't a magic number. I think the C5 would be around 1200rpm at 55, it was something ridiculous like that.

I was at 1850 in 6th with the stock tires at 80mph. Anything below 65 in 6th gear aint happening.