Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Default Outrageous prices for oil pan gasket!

Does 1200 sound right to you guys for an oil pan gasket and rear main seal replacement? Seems like a bit much to me. I called a good amount of places. Got quotes of 1200 mm&ff, db engineering 900, independent Shop 800, and a small time "mustang mechanic" I've gone to a few times for 500. For those prices I could buy a hoist, engine stand, heads and a cam. Anyone know where I can get the oil pan change done a little cheaper? My pan and rear seal Are leaking 1/2 a quart a week now. Getting a little taxing to fill it up. Any suggestions or insight Anyone can offer? I have money to pAy 1000 bucks, but not just for a damn oil pan gasket. At that price ill just buy a bunch of oil lol.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

The problem is that you can't change the pan gasket with the engine in the car. The rear main seal you can but you still have to pull the trans or the engine to do it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

You can buy a hoist and engine stand but you're not getting heads and cam for that money. Have I pulled the oil pan in the car, yup. Have I changed a RMS in car, yup. Was it worth it? Fuck no, so much quicker and easier to pull it out and do it on a stand.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

I was thinking gt40 heads and e cam. More wallet friendly.

Ya I realize the motor has to come out, or steering and k member. But does that labor price sound right? The guy who wants to charge me 500 is more my price but I'm not sure if I fully trust the guy.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Fast & Filthy

You can pull the engine in a couple hours and figure a little more to drop it back in. So depending on their rate the quotes sound about right.

Also, an E303 will no longer pass the tail pipe emissions test so I don't recommend using it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

I charge 600-800 depending on the person to pull an engine and put it back in.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #7

Damn , that's a lot more than I was expecting. Well an engine needs to be able to keep the oil inside lol. So I guess I'll just get it fixed.

What cams are smog legal now? I know the gt40 iron heads have the egr tube hookups. But I'm not sure about cams. If it really costs that much ill probably hold off until I can afford good aluminum heads.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

You'll pay at least 500 for a decent set of non-P gt40 heads.

Stopping the world!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

I need to replace the rear main seal and pan gasket on the one buck truck. It doesn't leak a lot, but it leaks a little all the time. Figure might take it out at some point and replace all the bearings and rings while it's out. It has just short of 160k miles, so probably a worthwhile move to keep it solid for years to come. Still ain't happening anytime soon.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

The rear main leaks on big blue too, i'll change it whenever the trans comes out, but for now, it's not a big issue.

Stopping the world!