Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Got some free tires, kinda.

More like warranty replacements. I bought these Sumitomo tires for my Neon 3 or 4 months ago that are now bald, granted I've been making a round trip from OC to SD twice a week... but still, tires should not last 4 months.

Well it's a good thing I know a thing or two about cars, otherwise I never would have been able to pull it off. I went into the tire shop (Tire Warehouse in Anacrime) and talked the the salesman. He wrote down the mileage, came outside and checked out the car. He claimed that my tires wore so fast because of the alignment, to which I replied "well the tires do show signs of some negative camber, but the tread bars are worn through all across the tire, even on the inside." He replied with some b.s. which granted him only a stupid look on my behalf. I went on to say, "there is no caster adjustment on this car, the toe is fine, and it drives straight for miles." We walked inside and he printed out a discounted offer, around $120. I asked him "you expect me to pay this?" Giving another stupid look. Then he said well if not your going to have to talk to the boss, I did. The boss typed on his comp for a while, checking my past mileage etc. And then he turns around, looks at me and says "I know you've been doing burnouts with this thing." To which I reply, "well then only one tire should be bald since it's an open diff, right?" Then he insinuates that he doesn't believe me. I go on to say that I have a centrifugally blown and stroked C3 and I'm not trying to race around in a Neon. Granted I have done a burnout in the Neon, but never with these tires. Shaking his head, he goes back to his computer. Finally he gives up, slaps on a new set for me.

Despite having to pull teeth, these guys did treat me right and they always have. I will be buying Nittos for my Vette from them in the future because of this. They also always have the lowest prices around.

As for why these tires wore so damn fast, I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe the guy forgot to balance them... I don't remember him doing that last time. Could that even make that big of a difference? Who knows?