Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Jeep Liberty Diesel is another option. You can probably pick one up for 7-8k now on the low end Id guess? 32mpg 2.4L mercedes engine. 36mpg with a programmer and dpf delete. (Freeway)
Old 11-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #12

Is it possible to leave the xD at the end of the payment and swap cars to a Samari for the dirt road?
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Jeep Liberty Diesel is another option. You can probably pick one up for 7-8k now on the low end Id guess? 32mpg 2.4L mercedes engine. 36mpg with a programmer and dpf delete. (Freeway)

I've thought about a Liberty before, but I've heard they have a chronic problem with something in the fuel system (I forget) that costs at least a couple grand to repair and needs to be done every 80k miles or so.

John, car swaps are not practical. The dirt road from the house to pavement is 2.5 miles and is not a parking lot or anything like that. Heck, it takes 2 minutes to get out of the boundaries of the property itself! (It is bisected by a public road.)

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #14

What about grading the road every now and then? All it takes is a pickup and something heavy to drag behind it to fill in the ruts, that should take alot of the ruts.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 11-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
I, Vettezuki

It's a public road so I'm not sure what the deal is with it. They come in from time to time with an actual grader, so it's not neglected, but it's not graveled and graded like a lot of rural roads in other parts of the country, which are fine to to get around on at lower speeds and cost a lot less than asphalt.

A lot of it is ok, but there is one section this is like a rock seem. It would have to be excavated and filled to improve. I will do what you mention on the section near my house that has some gulleys from water run off. If I get the place that is.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Here's some (long running) video of a the southern portion of the land itself. It's kind of neat rolling hills and gulleys, with some flat spots and neat rock out croppings. It's 67 acres, so it goes to the hill and beyond.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #17

Very cool looking place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8x...el=Autoexpress
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

The reviews generally seem to be pretty positive, especially about its off road chops. I don't think the Trail Hawk will be necessary, but the adaptive AWD with some settings is a must. My wife can just drive and let the systems figure out traction.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #19
Super Moderator

That's a huge piece of land! Dibbs on the southeast corner. Im buying a motorhome and moving in. Where is it? Do you have plans to build on it?
Old 11-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #20
Super Moderator

And why not an AWD subie for Reiko? Doesnt look like you need a rock crawler, just something that wont get stuck