Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Nissan GT-R spanks Corvette Z06 and Porsche Turbo at the track...

Road and Track just ran the Nissan GT-R, Porsche Turbo and a Corvette Z06 around the track. The results are surprising to me: The GT-R absolutely spanks the other two. Pretty amazing...

Lap Times:

Nissan GT-R 1:56.9
Porsche Turbo 2:02.1
Corvette Z06 2:02.2

Here is a link to the PDF: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...ct_OnTrack.pdf
Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Was that an auto GTR? I've heard that they're all going to be auto.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Was that an auto GTR? I've heard that they're all going to be auto.
You heard wrong - paddle shifted manual.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
You heard wrong - paddle shifted manual.
6 Speed Dual Clutch Automated Manual (not an manually shifted automatic)

It has an "automatic" mode, Combined with launch control, getting awesome consistent straight line performance should be brainless. Perfect for likely GTR owners.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
6 Speed Dual Clutch Automated Manual (not an manually shifted automatic)

It has an "automatic" mode, Combined with launch control, getting awesome consistent straight line performance should be brainless. Perfect for likely GTR owners.
Is this kind of like a Lambo setup? Where it will drop the clutch automatically for you?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Road and Track just ran the Nissan GT-R, Porsche Turbo and a Corvette Z06 around the track. The results are surprising to me: The GT-R absolutely spanks the other two. Pretty amazing...

Lap Times:

Nissan GT-R 1:56.9
Porsche Turbo 2:02.1
Corvette Z06 2:02.2

Here is a link to the PDF: http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...ct_OnTrack.pdf
It's a fair comparison and amazing. But is the Vette still on Run Flats while the GT-R is on borderline track rubber.

EDIT: Isn't Steven Millen a Nissan Factory Race Driver? I'm not saying it'd make all the difference, but I'm guess he's infinitely more familiar with Nissan car dynamics than a lighter high-powered RWD car. Note he mentions short shifting and being somewhat skiddish about the power Vette. It would have been a better comparo if each car was driven by their own factory race driver, OR, just by a professional driver with no affiliations. I'd also like to know the difference in lap time of the Vette on Run Flats vs. good performance rubber. (But that's a different comparison I guess.)

Still waiting for a fully legit straight up comparo in all categories.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Last edited by Vettezuki : 03-20-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Chate

We all know i'm a nutcase GTR fanboy, but I am dissapointed. These things are goign to sell for >100grand with dealer markup and not going to be attainable for a long ass time to come if they remain as limited as they say. Also, the JDM GTRs are having huge issues with upgrades and tuning because of the "nazi ECU" already, so I dunno, i feel like in previous generations the skyline love came from the harmony of technology and tuning that allowed crazy output #s. This time it seems theres too much tech which, although cool for stock-to-stock comparisons, will ultimately be restrictive in the long run...
I'm gonna go buy that hyundai i've been ranting about in the other thread...
Old 03-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chate View Post
We all know i'm a nutcase GTR fanboy, but I am dissapointed. These things are goign to sell for >100grand with dealer markup and not going to be attainable for a long ass time to come if they remain as limited as they say. Also, the JDM GTRs are having huge issues with upgrades and tuning because of the "nazi ECU" already, so I dunno, i feel like in previous generations the skyline love came from the harmony of technology and tuning that allowed crazy output #s. This time it seems theres too much tech which, although cool for stock-to-stock comparisons, will ultimately be restrictive in the long run...
I'm gonna go buy that hyundai i've been ranting about in the other thread...
Well, I know if I had the choice between a psycho R34 and a GTR, I'd take the R34. It just seems to have more personality. It seems that with the GTR, the Japanese wanted to prove they have the technical ability to beat a Turbo Porsche. Well, congratulations. But that ain't passion.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Chate

And the GTR is fugly, it really looks too much like a z for me. I like the boxy beast that was the R34 vspecii...so sad, maybe i'll move to australia some day...
Old 03-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
Resident Avatar Gambler

It looks way better than the new Z

What the hell is up with those headlights?!?