Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
pain's fun, hit me again

Default Ben. Actual sound proofing material, others too

Where can I purchase mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam in large quantities for cheap?

I figure whats better to lock out noise after using the butyl sound deadener then closed cell foam decoupled with mass loaded vinyl.

My plan is the butyl layer for rattle protection and initial heat layer, closed cell foam as the next heat/sound barrier and mass loaded vinyl as the final layer of sound proofing.

Should make for a quiet car, yes?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

Found this
http://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/ammlv54190sq.html
They're local, anything cheaper you know of?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

This might be cheaper and easier to work with
http://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/compositevinyl.html

Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

In studios we mostly use compressed fiberglass and a kind of dense Styrofoam. I don't know a cheap supplier for either.

My borther Aaron might now a place to get dense foam you can pour into your own forms for relatively cheap as they use it in the design world for sculpting.

NOTE: You're a little screwed in a car. Low frequences simply require a large mass to absorb them. This means weight. The foam and fiberglass, etc. do a good job with high mid to high frequenceies, but aren't going to do too much with low frequencies. That's like separated concrete walls, floated floors, etc.

enkievette might have some ideas on this. His dad was a speaker designer and has some experience in this world.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

I'm not looking at making the car into a sound studio, the foxes are absolutely horrible in regards to any type of insulation. I dont want molds or fiberglass as the vibrations and moving stuff around the inside of the cab is going to break it down.

I'll probably add 100lbs to the car when all said and done but i'm ok with that as i'll make up for it somewhere else. I plan on doing inner and outer door skins and the back sides of the interior panels as well, meaning my only option really is CCV and MLV

Stopping the world!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Use some Dynamat like products B-Quiet, Second Skin Audio, etc. There are a bunch of them if you just want to kill some noise.

2012 Sand Storm (Toy Hauler)
2008 Cadillac STS-V (The Car)
2008 2500 HD Silverado (The Work Truck)
2008 Honda TRX400 (Her Bike)
2006 Honda TRX450R (The Bike)
2005 Mazda 3 2.3L (Her Car)
2003 2500 HD Duramax (The Truck)

P.S. Fuck Apple.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Use some Dynamat like products B-Quiet, Second Skin Audio, etc. There are a bunch of them if you just want to kill some noise.
Those products dont kill all as much noise as you think they do. And you missed the part where I said I already used the butyl products. I have 100mil audio technix wrap. About 50sqf left to install.

First shipment

Second shipment

Stopping the world!