Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #11

RB26DETT Ftw
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #12

meh, RB is heavier than an LS, more complicated, and more expensive, both to get and to mod. Now, an aluminum block 302 based stroker with a g-force/astro performance T-5 is actually lighter than an LS/t56 combo, and would probably be my choice, but you cant exactly go wrong with either one.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT View Post
meh, RB is heavier than an LS, more complicated, and more expensive, both to get and to mod. Now, an aluminum block 302 based stroker with a g-force/astro performance T-5 is actually lighter than an LS/t56 combo, and would probably be my choice, but you cant exactly go wrong with either one.

Very true. I have no problems a 302 with a t-5. Especially when it'll spin high rpms, and put out a good amount of power N/A. You can even pull a good budget build and go with a good GT-40 setup from an explorer. With all the bolt-ons and supporting mods you'll have a good runner.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
LS is a bit heavier than the SR ( about 50 pounds, from what i could gather, once you factor in the weights of the turbo set up for the sr and their respective transmissions ) as far as the durability of the silvia rear end dont know, nobody keeps it :P all the swaps ive seen have ford 9 inch rears.
From what I've been able to gather a fully dressed SR20DET with trans is about 450 and full LS/T56 is about 550. So about 100pounds, not a huge a difference. But just eyeballing it, it looks like a fair bit of that weight with an LS will be hanging over the front axle unless you really cut up the firewall and push it back into the cab.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #15

most ls swaps i see have about a 3-4 inch rearward shift of the firewall to move the engine back. Not to make it fit, but to even out the weight.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Slow_HO_Daytona Send a message via MSN to Slow_HO_Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
We did think about the Rotary (turbo from an FD) since it can be packaged just about anywhere. The LS7 is likely too big and certainly too expensive. The RB25, like the 2JZ are fantastic, but probably too long as I6s. Mmmmm.

Of course sometimes, the obvious is obvious for a reason. Full SR20DETs with trans and harness go around $2,500 +- and they can make awesome reliable power, it's just that everyone does that for a 510.
I may know of a 1980-81 RX-7 with a Wankel... My Uncle bought it new and sold it to this guy a few years ago after having it in storage for 10+ years...
The current owner backed into something and hasn't driven it since... (Newport beach). He said something like $1,000.00....
Just throwing it out there for anybody
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
most ls swaps i see have about a 3-4 inch rearward shift of the firewall to move the engine back. Not to make it fit, but to even out the weight.
Mmm, may have to seriously consider it, though honestly I'm not sure that much power is really necessary and perusing super lightness might be a better challenge. Maybe a modern HO V6 would be worth taking a peak at. Then again hearing an LS from a 510 would be pretty cool.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Vq37vhr
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Vq37vhr
Not a big fan of the sound of a VQ motor, but it's a possibility too. They're expensive to mod beyond the stock form.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
Super Moderator

The 35 might be better for mods. Depends if he wants to be happy with 330hp, or if he wants to mod a 270hp motor to the 4-500 range.