Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
You might want to consider a Toyota PU.
My GF's grandfather has a tacoma with ~325k miles on it and its still going strong. Original motor, trans, and rearend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
Diesels don't need to be smogged in CA, well at least mine doesn't. I know there are supposed to be new rules coming out or they are out already. The easiest way is to find one already done. Transfereing a car to the US from Mexico, from what I understand is a pain.

Also long traveling a diesel is kind of pointless... A diesel is heavy, if you want a long traveled truck idealy you want light. Hell if you are going to go through the trouble of an engine swap just go get a full floating currie enterprises 9inch custom ford rearend.

If you want to Long travel a ranger start with a Ranger Edge with tortion bars, they have an excellent frame. Then toss in a 4 banger gas motor in it and turbo it. That would be the most effective long traveled streetable truck. I have seen a good amount of Toyotas and Fords in Ocotillo and Glamis that have a similar setup. It will tow a little boat (which sounds like a ridgid inflatable or something similar) with ease. And the 5 speed trans that comes in them isn't bad at all.
I'm not sure how it works on a car that originally should have been smogged but was swapped to a diesel. Knowing California I'm sure there's a good deal of paperwork and an inspection.

As far as cheap long travel you cant beat the TTB. The torsion bar rangers are easier to lift but get real pricey when you get into true longtravel stuff. You're right about the diesel being heavy (4bt is ~700lbs with accessories, about as much as a BBF) and might compromise your long travel because of the heavy springs you'd have to run. Another nice thing about the TTB rangers is they came with the lima which can be very easily converted to the turbo lima from the SVO Mustang.

There's really no need for a 9" full floater unless you're going to get crazy with a dedicated desert rig. A 4.11 trac-lok 8.8 with welded tubes would be more than enough for DD that saw the desert regularly. An 8.8 with flipped perches on 64" chevy leafs and an inverted shackle is a budget way to get a good 15+" of rear travel.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #42
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
My GF's grandfather has a tacoma with ~325k miles on it and its still going strong. Original motor, trans, and rearend.
Those things are just about literally indesturctible.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #43
Super Moderator

I remember reading the smog swap laws a few years ago. You cannot put a diesel in an original gas engine car. And... if I'm going to buy a bike along with the truck, I don't care so much about the gas mileage. It should even out saving so much gas with the bike.

Yes, I like Yotas. I'm not looking for a project truck or something to build, you can buy a pretty serious early 2000s Ranger already built for 5-6K, say another 4-5K for an 05/06 R1 and I'm still way under my budget for a newish car.

Plus, parking with an R1, yes, win. No one laughed at my Jerry's mom joke? Sean and friends must not be in here. Haha.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
4-5K for an 05/06 R1 and I'm still way under my budget for a newish car.
The R1's don't have the most street friendly powerband for a DD I'd look more along the lines of a cbr1000 or zx-10 of the same year range. Ultimately it comes down to preference.

I don't know your level of experience bit I don't recommend jumping on a literbike for your first bike regardless of the make.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Yeah yeah, I can control my wrist. Liter bikes are about 5lbs heavier than 600s and 750s, surprisingly. Must be the same block. So if I'm not getting a lighter bike, why get one with less tire and less power?

I'll only get a 600 or 750 if I get a killer deal.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Yeah yeah, I can control my wrist. Liter bikes are about 5lbs heavier than 600s and 750s, surprisingly. Must be the same block. So if I'm not getting a lighter bike, why get one with less tire and less power?

I'll only get a 600 or 750 if I get a killer deal.
The weight isn't really the issue, its the power to weight and the way the power is made. The 10mm rear tire size is of no consequence, 600's and literbikes both have the same tire where it matters, the front, and that's where 80-90% of your braking and turning is done. You're not going to run into strait line traction issues with a 600 or a 1000 but a 1000 will overpower its bigger tire in a corner much easier than a 600 will its smaller tire.

This is where the problem is, 1000's have a monster midrange and top end compared to a 600. We're talking unexpectedly pulling the front wheel up under part throttle in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd on some of the late model literbikes. It's easy to say "I just wont twist as much" (and is very often said by new riders looking to get a literbike) but that concept falls apart when you're on the bike in a situation you didn't expect with traction you overestimated. A literbike will get you in a lot more trouble a lot quicker and a lot more unexpectedly than even a 600. And when you do drop you're nice newish literbike you just dropped it's value 50-60% AFTER you put in the money (thousands for originals) to rebuild the plastics, stator cover, paint, etc.

The next point, even a 600 is too much bike for most new riders. A late model 600 makes as much power as a 1000 from a decade or so ago. And those decade old 1000's weren't novice friendly bikes either. Super sport 600's (like literbikes) have unforgiving twitchy steering geometry compared to a more desirable beginner bike like an SV650. A 600 is lss likely to get you into trouble than a 1000 because its grip to power ratio is much higher and overpowering the rear tire is a much more focused effort due to their higher rpm powerbands. A 1000 has 60-100% more power at the wheel compared to a 600, and even a 100hp 600 is too much bike for 99% of street riding situations. You'll rarely have the opportunity to fully open up a 600 safely for even a few seconds, let alone a 150whp literbike and 600's/1000's brakes and cornering limits are roughly equivalent (most people can corner much harder on a 600 due to its more controllable powerband, whereas 1000's are ridden as point and squirt relying on power due to lack of cornering confidence).

Modern 600's run mid-low 10's in the 1/4 and top out at an easy 160mph+. Modern 1000's run High 9's in the 1/4 and top out at ~180-186mph. When do you ever have the opportunity to open up even an 11 second car on the street? On a bike you have ~75% of the brakes you do in a comparable car and none of the safety.

You're going to buy what you want with your money obviously, but the wise man buys the bike he can handle. Then trades up as his skills improves and doesn't assume he can handle the Ferrari Enzo's of the motorcycle world on his first outing. You have no cage, you have no ABS, you have contact patches the size of tennis balls regardless of the bike, and you have a power to weight better than EVERY supercar (even on a 600).

Used bike prices are pretty stagnant, I bought an '01 CBR600F4i rode it for 4 years and put a good 10-15000 miles then sold it to recoup 90% of what I paid for it. Financially you're not going to take much of a hit buying a bike you can be confident on then selling it and getting something faster at a later date, but you'll be much less likely to drop it and hurt yourself and your wallet.

That's my advice on the matter, take it for what it's worth.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #47

Well damn, didn't mean to write a book... lol

TL;DR Buy a smaller bike, you'll be just as happy, just as cool, and might end up living longer.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #48
Super Moderator

Holy shit, ok. You convinced me. I'll look for 600s and 750s, I do like to open the throttle in the turns. But if I find a killer deal on a 1K I'm not making any promises.

And I'm not even sure I'm doing this lifted truck/ sportbike purchase combo. Right now it seems like my best option, but a week ago I was set on an STI. I'm as predictable as a slot machine. Really, it's going to depend on what's on craigslist and what I'm feeling in about 3 weeks when I'm ready to buy.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #49
I, Vettezuki

Excellent advice ultraperio. My first (and to date only) bike is a Suzuki Bandit 1200S. I think it's a great beginner bike if you have a brain, though I routinely recommend the SV650 as the probably the best overall, and even the Ninja 250 for anyone worried about bike power to weight. The Bandit makes so much torque you can sort of ride it like a car, no need to rev the throttle to get around. Most of my time is very part throttle. It's nothing like a modern liter bike (I've ridden an 08' Gixxer), but still has plenty of umph to get you going. Roughly a high 11 1/4 at 118mph or so. Comfortable to ride, etc. They're also cheap.

Adam, one extra thing to consider is that insurance on sport bikes is going to be much higher than "universals" like the Bandit, etc.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #50
Super Moderator

I'm aware, I'll be getting liability only I'm sure. I would only go for a sport bike. I need that sex appeal. It's a deal breaker without it for me.

03+ CBR for the looks, or 03+ GSXR/ R6 for the FI.