Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Internet Tough Guy

Default Customer service

Two data points of what not to do if you are in sales or the automotive aftermarket industry.

-I was at JBA performance trying to coordinate getting the Corvette dyno'd. While there I saw a nice set of CF valve covers. While not something that is going to provide a lot of bang for buck, this set was automative art. They were not able to provide a cost or a date that they would be available. I ask if the set on display was available for sale, nope. I guess business much be booming.

-Forgeline: I sent a wheel damaged at the track in for repair. I had to hound the sales representative for the RGA code that they use to track wheels at he shop (required prior to shipping). They are also slow on a call back with the cost and timeline for repair. I am also frustrated with the fact that at the time of purchased I let them know that the car was a track car. I noticed the wheels have a sticker on them stating that they are not for competition use. Between that and the lack of email responses I will no longer recommend Forgeline wheels even though I do think they make a quality product.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2

Good customer service is a thing of the past. There are a few here and there that are good, but not many.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

There's a lot more to business than making good stuff. It is amazing how many people miss the basic fact that all business is people business. Take care of your customers, like you give a shit, and they'll take care of you.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

I completely understand our issue with Forgeline but not with JBA. I can completely understand them not wanting to sell their display product. It might be their prototype and they are waiting for a quote on having someone else produce them so they currently don't have a final price or available date.

However, I do agree that customer service is not what it once was. I can say that the two companies I buy most of my stuff from (GTR and Summit) both have excellent customer service.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #5

Summit is great. Ive ordered a bunch of stuff from them, had one issue (wrong motor mounts) that I didn't find out for several months when I went to put them in, called them, correct mounts came in 2 days. They are a big company but they haven't lost sight of what customer service is.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
. . . I can completely understand them not wanting to sell their display product. It might be their prototype and they are waiting for a quote on having someone else produce them so they currently don't have a final price or available date. . .
Absolutely. But this isn't really the problem. The issue is the customer relationship. It's fine to say X is not for sale. But just sort of bluntly leaving it there is not so good. Better would be, "I'm sorry this is a display unit only. . . . we're working to firm up a production schedule but nothing is available yet. . . can I get your contact information to let you know when it's available."

This takes you from "we don't really know what we're doing exactly" to "we want your business." A guy standing in front of you wanting to drop cash is golden!

I come froma family of small business owners and self employed people. I own one myself, and work for a major global corporation. I'm convinced a huge number of problems in business can be rooted back to basic communication, whether internally, or externally. There also doesn't seem to be so much of a clear relationship in size. I've received dismal service from small companies and excellent service from large ones.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Internet Tough Guy

Ben is exactly right. Had he given me any reason as to why is wasn't available or a timeline I would have been happy, but instead I was told it was unavailable. I asked if they had a timeline. Nothing.

Summit is great. I ordered my wilwoods from Summit and saved $400-$600 from any other vendor including going directly to Wilwood. They told me it would take 2 weeks since they were not stocked. I called and asked if there was anything that could be done. The sales rep called Wilwood who shipped them directly to me. They arrived in 3 days. Before I buy any parts I check to see if Summit has it if they do then I will get it through Summit.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Fast & Filthy

I see your guy's point and agree. I myself do technical support for a major global company and support the entire west coast so I know how important customer service is.

I just had to send the ignition box I bought from Summit back because it had an issue. I called them and they sent me a return shipping label. I mailed the box back to them and received an email two days later that it was received, the following day I received another email that the new box had shipped a two days after that it was at my door. I love Summit.

With that said though, there are some times when I want or need a part that same day and will drive out to J&M Speed Center in Riverside to buy it. They are a little more than Summit but they are friendly and I like supporting the local small guy. I think I bought about half the stuff for the 454 that's in the Chevelle from them. When I bought the Be Cool radiator from them the owner had them order me the Be Cool radiator cap at no charge. They cost around $50 from Summit.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Internet Tough Guy

Nice I will keep J & M in mind if I need a part in a pinch.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Internet Tough Guy

Called Forgeline last week, they were unable to provide as estimate for hte repair due to "everyone being at SEMA". Called this morning, they are looking for the wheel now.