Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #81
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhy View Post
Previous trip. Alas, I will not be returning this year.
Awesome. I was worried that story may have fallen into oblivion. . .

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #82

It's funny, on any other forum if somones resurects a thread that's 2 1/2 yrs old, they get boo-ed.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #83
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhy View Post
It's funny, on any other forum if somones resurects a thread that's 2 1/2 yrs old, they get boo-ed.
They suck.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #84

In the morning, surveying my new domain, I learned that the campground served a pretty good breakfast for $5. Steak dinners were $6. There was a gas station a 1/4 mile away wth fuel and beer, campground sold ice for a buck a bag and styrofoam coolers for two bucks. What I'm trying to get at is for the $10 a day camping fee plus another $20, I was fed and sitting under my shade tree with a 12 pack of beer in a cooler on ice for the day. See-uns how I only had to buy the cooler once, a day's stay with two meals worked out to about $33 bucks. Didn't take me long to realize this measued out to under a grand a month for room and board. They also had free showers and laundry for bikers of that persuasion.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #85

8 days on the road and finally in Sturgis! It may disappoint some to find out I spent my first day doing nothing but hanging out under my shade tree with a cooler of beer. I was beat! I quickly made friends though, as an Alaska plate in S. Dakota is somewhat rare. Dennis was a Vietnam vet camped behind me from Pennsylvania Super cool guy, he and I hit it off right away. Right across from me was Thad from Dallas. He's a blacksmith and builds a lot of custom iron gates and what-not. Later on I'll post some picks of his shovelhead. Thing was awsome! Like I said, he's a blacksmith -not a machinist, so all the parts he had to make were done with heat and a hammer. Made it super unique. Aw hell, I'll post them now. The fender struts were bad ass Yeah, that's an actual saddle on there! It's the only bike he's ever owned, and he bought it as a basket-case. I thought that said a lot about him. Never worked on bikes before and just starts hammering out parts in the forge and teaches himself how to put together a shovel motor.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 PM   #86
I, Vettezuki

That's straight up bad ass right there. Talk about taking the "iron horse" theme and running with it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 AM   #87
I, Vettezuki

Having a Japhy does Sturgis withdrawl here.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #88

Sorry Brother, I'm back on the slope for 2 weeks. I will be sure and post a few more when I get back. I gotta hurry and wrap it up -there's a new bike in the garage and more rambling to share!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #89
pain's fun, hit me again

The blacksmith dude kinda looks like luke willson
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #90

After a couple days of layin around on my ass more inclined to drink beer than ride anywhere, I started getting restless again. Took a ride down into the Black Hills to Mt Rushmore

It was actually smaller than I'd always pictured it, but still super cool.

As an aside, it is customary where I'm from to take a northbound road when going north, and a westbound road when going west. Should one desire to head East or South, you just go backwards down the West or North road... The Black Hills blew my my mind. Changed my whole perspective of the universe and my place in it. Here's a map.

And here's what it looks like when you're in it.

No sense of direction at all! My ride through the hills consisted of trying like hell to find Rushmore, then trying like hell to get out, with a brief thought of discovering the Crazy Horse memorial. I was winding around God knows where, when all of a sudden, I was on the outskirts of a town. Out of the hills and forest, a quick reference of my sextant told me Sturgis was about 30 miles thataway -where I arrived to find the old Navy vets huddled around something called a "smartphone" (this was 2008) reviewing the doppler radar image of what appeared to be the apocolypse headed in our direction.

All radios in camp were tuned to the weather service forecast for extreme thunderstorm activity with golf ball sized hail. Sweet mother, we were worried. We had a few trees for shelter from the hail, and before long we all had our bikes picketed underneath one or the other. It was early in the evening so many other folks were still out on the road somewhere. The wind picked up ahead of the storm, and we soon had our hands full catching tents as they rolled through like hippy tumbleweeds. We only had a few extra stakes, so we were tying them together and staking down one corner. Mercifully, the weather service had downgraded the hail to "penny sized". I was still pissing down both legs at the thought of that, but I took solace in the fact that it could be worse. I coulda been one of those poor bastards out on the highway 200 yds away stuck in traffic trying to get in to the KISS concert a mile away! The wind was gusting 35 or so, and as the first raindrops began to fall, we wished our bikes well, said a little prayer for the KISS army outside, grabbed some campchairs and hunkered down in Dennis' BIG-ASSED tent with enough beer to last 40 days and 40 nights. All while cursing the short-sightedness that resulted in 4 dudes in a 8' x 8' tent with no wimens and thus no way for us to repopulate the earth after the storm passed -should we survive.