Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Default Ready for Boost... or is it?

For those of you that may or may not remember me (it's been a while), here's a pic of my car (before LED daytime running lights!)

My flexplate broke when cruising out to SEMA (at the speed limit, I swear... 24 MPG FTL) and sheared off some bolts inside of the shortblock, and cracked the rear engine cover. The engine had to be pulled to go to the machine shop. So while it was pulled I decided to do a teardown to check the condition. Seemed ok aside from some "normal" very light scoring on the cylinder walls. So I decided that it was a good time for a rebuild. So if I was going to rebuild, then why don't I do it right and do a forged rebuild? And if I am forging a motor, why not build it for boost/NA and use ARP studs everywhere? With the right piston dish, all it would take to go from NA to FI configuration on the shortblock would be a change of heads/headgaskets. Oh, and since I had gone through all the trouble to make it a smog legal swap, I should try to keep it smog legal by being able to pass the sniffer by choosing a small cam which should also work for nitrous/boost.

Why did it take so long (it's been down since SEMA)? Well, the only place I could tow it to within my 200 mile tow range was my parents house in the desert. Their house is 100 miles from my apartment in Burbank. To work on the car I have to drive my gas-guzzling 4x4 Jeep 200 miles a weekend, which equates to $120+ in gas over a weekend (depending on how much weight I have in the back of the Jeep, like a longblock, for example).

So, this is what I have sitting in my car right now, waiting for stuff to be bolted back together (not much). Needs intake manifold-up bolted on, a couple of accessories-forward bolted on, shorty headers and cats bolted on, misc. (like Lowes catch-can, sensors), and fluids/bleeding. Hoping to get it started on Sunday.

People with nearly identical shortblocks have reported around 750RWHP @ 15PSI on dynos.

2001 LS1 (346ci) block
Honed to a 347ci (3.905" bore)
Clevite S & P series bearings throughought
ARP head studs & ARP main studs
Stock 3.622" iron crank (micro-polished & balanced)
Lunati LAE1 connecting rods
Diamond Racing -8.6cc pistons. Coated tops w/heat rejection coating, coated skirts with antifriction coating.
Stock 241 heads milled 0.045" (59cc?)
0.051" compressed MLS headgaskets
Patriot .660" lift dual springs
Stock rocker arms with COMP trunion bearing upgrade
Degreed cam on install
Custom grind 218/230 .605/.605 115+2 cam with COMP XFI lobes
SLP oil pump/SLP double roller timing set
42# Lucas/Delphi injectors
LS6 intake manifold
LS6 PCV system
P&P stock throttle body
Stock MAF
JBA shorty headers
2.5" Bassani true duals

Driveline:
Stock 4L60E
BDR 2200ish stall 12" torque converter
OEM aluminum driveshaft
Stock 3 channel 10 bolt with 3.42 gears/torsen carrier

WIP shot:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Congrats Lee, that'll be awesome. What power adder are you leaning towards?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

I'm tentatively calling BS on the reported 750 RWHP with 1 bar psi on a 347. But it's going to be great anyway.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #4

What do you people do for a living? I can barely afford gas in mine, let alone go fast parts
Old 05-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak View Post
What do you people do for a living? I can barely afford gas in mine, let alone go fast parts
Top ramen and pb&j
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

I Hustle!!

2012 Sand Storm (Toy Hauler)
2008 Cadillac STS-V (The Car)
2008 2500 HD Silverado (The Work Truck)
2008 Honda TRX400 (Her Bike)
2006 Honda TRX450R (The Bike)
2005 Mazda 3 2.3L (Her Car)
2003 2500 HD Duramax (The Truck)

P.S. Fuck Apple.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Fast & Filthy

How far down in the hole are the pistons and what is the current compression?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #8

700 hp will be a little much with a stock ls1 displacement and 15 PSI

I would peg it more to about 650
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 05-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #9

For shits n giggles, a Photoshopped pic of my car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Congrats Lee, that'll be awesome. What power adder are you leaning towards?
I am thinking a pullied Vortech G-trim, air-air intercooler[s], and methanol. Hoping for 500-650rwhp. It should also be able to handle a 200-250 shot of nitrous if I couldn't pull off a centrifugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm tentatively calling BS on the reported 750 RWHP with 1 bar psi on a 347. But it's going to be great anyway.
I'm sure the cam was different, and it had good heads, and a sheet metal intake (or something like that). Just going off of what I have read and what 2-3 people have told me. 15PSI is A LOT for a 347.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak View Post
I'm in IT. . My car is also paid off, so that helps. I started buying parts for this build in June of 2010 and have been shelling out $$$$ ever since. I moved in July and had to invest about $1000 into my Jeep to get it running properly just so I'd have a daily driver while my car was down. In fact, I'm replacing the water pump on the Jeep this weekend before I start working on the car. If you want to talk about barely affording gas, I'm right there with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
<CENSORED>
SHHHHHH! WE MUST NOT LET THEM KNOW OUR ANCIENT MONEY MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
How far down in the hole are the pistons and what is the current compression?
They should be 0.007" OUT of the hole. Current static compression should be 10.3:1. Dynamic is within safe ranges. This is with 59cc heads (assuming stock heads are 59cc when milled 0.045"). Ideal for boosted applications would be 62cc-64cc heads, or so (depending on PSI). Bottom line, it should be fine right now for NA, and I'll switch the heads/lifters/injectors when going FI (even though the lifters are brand new, it's cheap insurance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
700 hp will be a little much with a stock ls1 displacement and 15 PSI

I would peg it more to about 650
How many forged 347ci LS1s have you seen at 15 PSI? None? Neither have I.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
They should be 0.007" OUT of the hole. Current static compression should be 10.3:1. Dynamic is within safe ranges. This is with 59cc heads (assuming stock heads are 59cc when milled 0.045"). Ideal for boosted applications would be 62cc-64cc heads, or so (depending on PSI). Bottom line, it should be fine right now for NA, and I'll switch the heads/lifters/injectors when going FI (even though the lifters are brand new, it's cheap insurance).
I come up with 10.33 with a .044 quench which is great. The engine should run strong. However, if you do go with a blower don't drop the compression by adding a thicker head gasket. A 64cc combustion chamber will drop the compression down to about 9.75 and would keep the .044 quench. That's a little high but with an intercooler or meth injection it won't be. Better yet would be a set of AFR's with 72cc combustion chambers which would give you 8.97:1.