Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by luder_5555 View Post
I don't see too many people wanting to crew for us if they have to pay lots of money to do it. I can't imagine paying someone $100 to stand around in the cold for 24 hours just to put gas in the tank every hour or so, and possibly change tires that have super hot lugs, or possibly brakes that are 1000*. I would shoot for 6 drivers, and just split it into three man shifts. One driving, and two crewing while the other three sleep.

FWIW I will be crewing with a team doing the 25 hours of Thunderhill in a few weeks and they are covering all my fees, food, lodging, and if I drive myself there instead of riding up with them, my gas. I doubt that I would be volunteering my time to watch other people race and work on their car if I had to pay the $300-400 that I will end up costing them.
It's a fair point, the difference with lemons being the circus party atmosphere rather than serious racing, where of course as the level goes up, they're actually paid staff.

The drivers (almost certainly going to be six) can cover the car entry, and handle any real crewing work. Anyone else who wants to be in the pits could pay their own way. So that'd be nearly $200 per driver and $75 "crew" for entry. Likewise, drivers alone could pay consumables. Since we're talking relatively small amounts the divergence here isn't huge, but could be on the margin for decision making for some for sure.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #22

We also need to consider that if we actually plan to make it to the end of the 24 hours we are going to want a bunch of extras. Bearings, trans, tires, wheels, control arms, ect. Plus each driver is going to need an approved helmet, race suit, gloves, and shoes. That's easily another $500-1000 for those who don't already have approved race gear. If we think that we are each getting through the end of the race for $ 400-500 we should really start taking a closer look at this.

Just a quick rundown:
Car-$500
tires-$400-500 without any extras
Entry-$500
Getting to/from track with car-$200-300
fuel for the race- $600+ (the way I see it probably 150-200 gallons at $4.00+/gal)

That's $2400 six ways for $400, not counting getting the car caged, brakes, suspension, extras for the car, race seat, harness, or fire extinguisher.

So each person is realistically going to be looking at probably $400-700 depending on how many spare parts we want to have, and that is BEFORE personal safety equipment.

Just food for thought, and something that we should all know going in.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
We also need to consider that if we actually plan to make it to the end of the 24 hours we are going to want a bunch of extras. Bearings, trans, tires, wheels, control arms, ect. Plus each driver is going to need an approved helmet, race suit, gloves, and shoes. That's easily another $500-1000 for those who don't already have approved race gear. If we think that we are each getting through the end of the race for $ 400-500 we should really start taking a closer look at this.

Just a quick rundown:
Car-$500
Entry-$500
fuel for the race- $600+ (the way I see it probably 150-200 gallons at $4.00+/gal)

That's $2400 six ways for $400, not counting getting the car caged, brakes, suspension, extras for the car, race seat, harness, or fire extinguisher.

So each person is realistically going to be looking at probably $400-700 depending on how many spare parts we want to have, and that is BEFORE personal safety equipment.

you didnt ready the rules did you?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #24

I did, I'm just not sure that everyone else did. I am assuming that you are referring to the part where they say that we should budget about $1000 each, right?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
I, Vettezuki

Quote:

Just a quick rundown:
Car-$500
Entry-$500

Reasonable rough calculations.

Obviously that's absolute peanuts in the world of automotive racing. I think BADDASSC6 eats about $1k in consumables alone in a weekend. Considering the same car can be used at will by anyone involved (Adam's, AutoX) and personal gear is just personal gear, it's far cheaper than any one person could do for themselves even on the cheap. If you're interested in getting some seat time and regular access to anything resembling a road race car, this is about as cheap as it's going to get.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #26
pain's fun, hit me again

I'd like to add Vanessa as a driver, all her associated costs will be covered my me..
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #27
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I'd like to add Vanessa as a driver, all her associated costs will be covered my me..
Fine. As for events with a driver max limit and we already have more than that, we can draw straws, or do qualifying at another track, or some kind of wild card combination, we can figure that out as we approach it.

Or build a second car.

Let's start with one.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #28
pain's fun, hit me again

Anyways, aside from all the crap here's what we need. 94-95 rear axle with brakes, 3.08 gear ratio prefered, 94-95 front spindles, i have some calipers and rotors for the fron, 95 gt master cylinder which i have a bnib as well, engine, i suggest a exploder engine from a pick a part on a half off day, use ported head from pacific engine and sell gt40 heads to recoup cost. Engine harness and computer from 88-89 5.0 and some stock rims from any mustang

Stopping the world!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #29
I, Vettezuki

This car can also be a base for settling shit talking (and enjoying racer excuses) since it's the same exact car to be raced. I'd be fascinated in particular to see a comparison of Ron's to Carlos's times at a track.

I'm slowly starting to make money again, so I might even pick up one of those track data packages for shits and giggles.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 PM   #30

Just a quick question, has everyone who wants to be a driver have a good amount of seat time on track? And of those who do, do they have any wheel to wheel with open passing experience?

If the answer to either of these questions is no, then one of the things that we/they do sometime between now and next December is get some serious seat time, and some wheel to wheel action. Heck even W2W kart racing will help significantly with overtaking, and being passed.

The reason that I ask is that with the time, effort, and money that everyone who stays involved will eventually be putting in, it would suck to have a novice driver go out and total the car half way through the race, and it would be even worse if that were to happen before one of the drivers even got any seat time.