Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Ideas for a Project car
V8 (SBC/ BBC/ SBF/ BBF/ SBM/ BBM) in a 240sx 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a 240sx 0 0%
V8 in an RX7 2 33.33%
TT V6 in an RX7 0 0%
V8 in a Mustang 2 2 33.33%
TT V6 in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #91
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
I've got a forged 302 long block with E7 iron heads, roller rockers , and a custom grind roller cam set up for a blower. It has the oil pan and timing cover for the old 60s cars. The engine bearly had 5000 miles on it when I pulled it for a stroked 347.
Yes, that is what I'm talking about.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #92
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
What do you want to change it to?
RX7 with a Ford SB.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #93
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Numero Uno, I won't start this project til I know it can be done. Ask Sean, I get twitchy when things go slow. I can't stand not finishing things, won't happen. So rest assured on that account.

Poll options updated to reflect availability of 302 Ford.

Obviously the slam dunk is this motor in a Mustang 2, but I almost feel that's too easy.

Remember, easy is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #94
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Sounds like $$$$$$ to me.
From what I have figured out. The Mustang II with joes engine would be the cheapest. Next would be the RX7 with SBC-only because that has been done many times before. Lastly would be the RX7 with the FORD of joes.

I've decided that the Mustang II with FORD power is our best option-if a body can be found.

Brutal has spoken.

Before everyone goes postal-if we go the cheapest with body and engine-then we have more money for suspension work and interior safety equipment.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
From what I have figured out. The Mustang II with joes engine would be the cheapest. Next would be the RX7 with SBC-only because that has been done many times before. Lastly would be the RX7 with the FORD of joes.

I've decided that the Mustang II with FORD power is our best option-if a body can be found.

Brutal has spoken.

Before everyone goes postal-if we go the cheapest with body and engine-then we have more money for suspension work and interior safety equipment.
If we go with my engine, I think we should pull the heads and have you work some of your magic on them. One of the reasons I pulled this engine for the 347 was because of the heads. They don't breathe very well. The exhaust ports especially need work.

Originally I was just gonna get a set of aluminum heads for it, but then I got a real hard-on for the blown 347 stroker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM   #96
Neanderthal

Quote:
If we go with my engine, I think we should pull the heads and have you work some of your magic on them. One of the reasons I pulled this engine for the 347 was because of the heads. They don't breathe very well. The exhaust ports especially need work.

Originally I was just gonna get a set of aluminum heads for it, but then I got a real hard-on for the blown 347 stroker.
What head casting number are you using on that block? Haven't done FORD SB heads since 89. Not a problem doing the porting, but I don't have any of my seat and valve griders anymore. If someone has a set, then I can do the heads complete.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #97
Super Moderator

Quote:
RX7 with a Ford SB.
I'll change it, what was your old vote?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #98

Quote:
What head casting number are you using on that block? Haven't done FORD SB heads since 89. Not a problem doing the porting, but I don't have any of my seat and valve griders anymore. If someone has a set, then I can do the heads complete.
After looking, I was mistaken about these being E7 heads. They are actually reconditioned e6se-aa heads. They have factory hardened exhaust seats. They have PC type valve seals. The castings have not been cut on. The valves are a little small, they are 1.78 & 1.46. The machinist talked me into keeping the valves instead of going with oversized valves because they have such a nice grain pattern and virtually no wear on the chrome stems. They have dual crane valve springs, part #99893. They have 3/8 screw in studs, chrome moly spring retainers, Crane machined steel locks, Crane cams guideplate conversion kit with adjustable locks. The combustion chambers are heart shaped and are 64 CC. They have Crane Cams Energizer 1.6 roller rockers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?

Old 12-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #99
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'll change it, what was your old vote?
V8 SBC in RX7.

But, with what Joe has thrown on the table, the Mustang II with FORD SB power is a slam dunk. Remember, Mustang IIs came with 302 2bls engines later in the run.

When I had my Moble Repair buiness in the early 80s, I worked on a number of these. All owned by women. This one time one of the women called me to come to her house and when she opened the door she was wearing...................

A FORD 4 speed top loader---damn what a GREAT guy. You can NOT do better that that.!!!!!!!!!!!
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #100
Neanderthal

Quote:
After looking, I was mistaken about these being E7 heads. They are actually reconditioned e6se-aa heads. They have factory hardened exhaust seats. They have PC type valve seals. The castings have not been cut on. The valves are a little small, they are 1.78 & 1.46. The machinist talked me into keeping the valves instead of going with oversized valves because they have such a nice grain pattern and virtually no wear on the chrome stems. They have dual crane valve springs, part #99893. They have 3/8 screw in studs, chrome moly spring retainers, Crane machined steel locks, Crane cams guideplate conversion kit with adjustable locks. The combustion chambers are heart shaped and are 64 CC. They have Crane Cams Energizer 1.6 roller rockers.

Ok, some good stuff on the heads. The trouble is the small ports. Now ANY after market head will out preform these heads. Porting does help. If you we go forced induction then a bowl clean up, maybe bigger valves ( that will call for a camber unshroud that will increase the CC) and good port intake match/cleanup. The exhaust port is another story. I can make it better, but not to what it should be. But, again with forced induction it makes it much more doable. A longer duration ( 10 to 12 degrees) on the exhaust than the intake will help with the small port.
2016 Nissan Altma

Closed Thread