Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Ideas for a Project car
V8 (SBC/ BBC/ SBF/ BBF/ SBM/ BBM) in a 240sx 1 16.67%
TT V6 in a 240sx 0 0%
V8 in an RX7 2 33.33%
TT V6 in an RX7 0 0%
V8 in a Mustang 2 2 33.33%
TT V6 in a Mustang 2 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Possible Motorgen Project Cars

We've been kicking around ideas for doing project cars for a while. Here are some options in the poll. Let us know your thoughts.

Obviously we're looking for a fun way to promote the site (well duh).

The constraints are in this order:
1 cost - No budget set but we're talking a few grand tops, but on top of donations of some parts and time, it should be enough . . . I think.
2 performance - The idea is to have fun and promote the site with something interesting. It doesn't have to be a world beating masterpiece.
3 time - There are no special deadlines. (But deadlines will be set.)

One of the ideas is that any members who participate meaningfully with donations of time or parts can drive the car. I have an L83 SBC, and 700R4 that could be used. It's optional for it to be a a street car or track only car. It should have some kind of interesting feature or character. It's good if it can mix up different bits and pieces from different makers, keeping in line with what the site is about.

The poll is just some options. If you have some more, let us know.

HOW THE PROJECT WOULD KINDA WORK[
I'm a fan of the Tiger Team Model. That is talented people have responsibility for a project or an area of a project depending on the size and complexity. Project subdivision would look something like:

Project Manager (Vettezuki, unless one of you would like to take it on)
Oversees total project flow between units. Manages budget and scheduling. Is ultimately responsible for final product. Gets no credit upon success. Must commit ritual suicide upon failure. Ok, I'm kidding about the last bit.

Engine System
Responsible for engine, computer and harness (if it exists), engine cooling, intercooling (if exists), fuel storage and supply.

PARTS
- Vettezuki - L83 SBC
- 94cobra69ss396 - TT V6 (Z Motor)?
- joedls - Forged 302 Ford

LABOR

Driveline
Transmission, axle, etc.

PARTS
- Vettezuki - 700R4
- 94cobra69ss396 - 5 Speed from Z?
- joedls - 4 speed toploader

LABOR

Steering/Suspension
Steering, Springs, Shocks, etc.

PARTS
LABOR

Interior/Safety
Seat, harness, switchgear, cage (if necessary)

PARTS
LABOR

Paint/Body (I know a guy)
Uh, Paint and body

MATERIALS
LABOR

General Fabrication
msc. bits and pieces that will be required almost no matter what.

MATERIALS
LABOR

If something strikes your fancy, please indicate which area you'd like to work in or what you might be able to contribute by posting a reply to this thread. You are not restricted to one area, but don't over commit yourself.

Anybody who contributes a major component, cash donation, or works on one of these teams can drive the car at the track or (if a street car) on our cruises.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Last edited by Vettezuki : 12-31-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Do you already have a lead on a car? I like the idea of the SBC in the 240sx.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Do you already have a lead on a car? I like the idea of the SBC in the 240sx.
Nope. Totally open right now. The nice part about a 240 or 914, is the could be made pretty gnarly and be street legal.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

That depends on what year your engine is. Do you still have all the smog euipment for it?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Power's off.

I feel the MII is most practical. The others would have way too much front weight. They used to put SBC's in Jags and Healy's. Front weight proved to be too much for the susp, and the weight was way too froward.
My fav is the elec drag car, but you need big $$ and sponsors for that. It's up my alley too, but I do not have the access to stuff I had 10 years ago.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
That depends on what year your engine is. Do you still have all the smog euipment for it?
It's an L83 (1982 TB V8). It's a SBC, with a dynomite 8.5:1. Yes, it still has all the smog on it, but golley, we don't that silly stuff. I was thinking, instead of doing too much work on the engine internals, maybe some form of ghetto Forced Induction would work because of the compression.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
I feel the MII is most practical. The others would have way too much front weight. They used to put SBC's in Jags and Healy's. Front weight proved to be too much for the susp, and the weight was way too froward.
My fav is the elec drag car, but you need big $$ and sponsors for that. It's up my alley too, but I do not have the access to stuff I had 10 years ago.
The 914 is a rear mid engine, but it seem not trivial to do and is such a weight in such a small car that it'd probably require a LOT of fabbing to do safely. But seeing a 914 with a V8 rumble is . . . well, special lets say. I'm curious about the weiht distribution in a 240. As I recall they were front mid engines with the I6. I know guys do this setup for straight line stuff. Your probably right, too much front weight bias for to be anything other than a drag type car. There is a lot to recommend an MII . . . other than the way it looks.

The electric drag car thing is going to happen at some point. But as you mention, the cost and technical details are in a different category. Probably a better choice for a later project car.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Fast & Filthy

My dad still has a 3.0 turbo V6 and 5 speed trans out of his 1985 300ZX that I crashed 15 years ago. I could probably get it from him if we would like to put it in something. He still has the computer and wire harness as well. We could turn the boost up on it and Corn Fed could tune it.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
My dad still has a 3.0 turbo V6 and 5 speed trans out of his 1985 300ZX that I crashed 15 years ago. I could probably get it from him if we would like to put it in something. He still has the computer and wire harness as well. We could turn the boost up on it and Corn Fed could tune it.
Those were damn good engines. But maybe a little pricey in the parts dept. for broken bits????

How does the weight compare to an SBC? With CornFed's experience, maybe we could do an E85 conversion too?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's an L83 (1982 TB V8). It's a SBC, with a dynomite 8.5:1. Yes, it still has all the smog on it, but golley, we don't that silly stuff. I was thinking, instead of doing too much work on the engine internals, maybe some form of ghetto Forced Induction would work because of the compression.
Just because it has low compression doesn't mean it will hold the boost. I would imagine it would require a rebuild to make any real power. Still, it's not a bad starting point for a project motor.

Closed Thread