Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #1
Black as death, hotter than hell, and sweeter than love.

Default Test Driving the New 5.0 Mustang

I'm not the best person at writing so I will try to make this as short as possible. I have a 07 GT and I was... let down by the 2011 5.0? The car accelerated really nice and it felt like it was on a track (Straight), the interior was clean looking, the gearbox was really solid and made shifting nice and simple but I dont really know how to describe what I didn't like. I am not some hardcore gearhead and I dont know a whole lot about cars but I was sorta bored with it. In my Mustang I just have more fun, the creaky gearbox when taking off, the kick back when I shift the whole looseness of the car. The 5.0 was very neat and precise it felt like it could drive itself I barely felt bumps in the road. I didn't like that.. please try not to flame I love what the new one represents in technology but for some reason I just dont like it. anyone else test drive one yet?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

I'll start by saying that I have not driven the 5.0.

Internally, I still struggle with the idea of buying a vintage 60's muscle car and restoring it with all of the imperfections of that particular era, versus getting something like the new 5.0 with what technology has to offer today.
I love the old school look and feel of those cars and it reminds me of a simpler time....but damn - reminiscing is one thing and horsepower and handling is something else. Guess I'll need one of each.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfish View Post
I'll start by saying that I have not driven the 5.0.

Internally, I still struggle with the idea of buying a vintage 60's muscle car and restoring it with all of the imperfections of that particular era, versus getting something like the new 5.0 with what technology has to offer today.
I love the old school look and feel of those cars and it reminds me of a simpler time....but damn - reminiscing is one thing and horsepower and handling is something else. Guess I'll need one of each.
You can do a hybrid like I did. There are so many great aftermarket parts for these platforms now you can really hit a pretty remarkable level of current technology and performance, with all the style and swagger of days gone by. I'd love to do 60s fastback with the modern 5.0 for example, and one of the many suspension packages now available. The only thing you really can't bring up close to modern day is safety. They just aren't going to hold up in a crash the same way modern unibody's with the benefit of decades of engineering and airbags etc. But if you want to build a high performance, good handling, dead reliable old school Mustang, we have the technology.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You can do a hybrid like I did. There are so many great aftermarket parts for these platforms now you can really hit a pretty remarkable level of current technology and performance, with all the style and swagger of days gone by. I'd love to do 60s fastback with the modern 5.0 for example, and one of the many suspension packages now available. The only thing you really can't bring up close to modern day is safety. They just aren't going to hold up in a crash the same way modern unibody's with the benefit of decades of engineering and airbags etc. But if you want to build a high performance, good handling, dead reliable old school Mustang, we have the technology.
You're right. I guess I'm fighting the urge to have a 60's 'Stang dead stock.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfish View Post
You're right. I guess I'm fighting the urge to have a 60's 'Stang dead stock.
Unless it's some special original config, like a GT350, or an L88 Vette, I'm not too misty eyed abut 60s tech. You could also do something where the engine was "stock like", carburated for example, but uses modern engine bits. It'd be old school style, but far better than original power and reliability. Lots of ways you could break on this.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestSpade View Post
I'm not the best person at writing so I will try to make this as short as possible. I have a 07 GT and I was... let down by the 2011 5.0? The car accelerated really nice and it felt like it was on a track (Straight), the interior was clean looking, the gearbox was really solid and made shifting nice and simple but I dont really know how to describe what I didn't like. I am not some hardcore gearhead and I dont know a whole lot about cars but I was sorta bored with it. In my Mustang I just have more fun, the creaky gearbox when taking off, the kick back when I shift the whole looseness of the car. The 5.0 was very neat and precise it felt like it could drive itself I barely felt bumps in the road. I didn't like that.. please try not to flame I love what the new one represents in technology but for some reason I just dont like it. anyone else test drive one yet?
Sorry, little tangent there. I haven't test driven it, but can easily imagine what your'e talking about. One of the things I like about my old Vette is fairly direct feeling I get driving. It's manual everything except vacuum assist breaks. No electronic nothing. Pretty light, stiffly sprung. Somehow I managed to get it about right, though there are always things I'd do to tweak.

You should note however, that as far as what you're describing for handling some of that can be addressed with hardened suspension and tires (road feel). It won't ever be as loose as an older Mustang.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Internet Tough Guy

I will admit that there is a certain satisfaction to taking a car to the limits and the older cars are arguably easier to achieve this since they are so much slower. Thats cool until a new car pull up next to you and hand you your ass.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 09-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
. . .Thats cool until a new car pull up next to you and hand you your ass.
Depends on your goal. If it's to build the "ultimate" street fighter, then you're right. If, as in my case, it's to enjoy a mix of fun, not exactly low performance, and old styling, then it doesn't matter. There's always someone who will eat your lunch, so unless you're actually competing where that's the goal, get over it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #9

I took an '11 Mustang GT for a test drive When I sold my '08 GT500, it had all the bells and whistles (Brembos,suspension,ect) and I got them down to $29.5 so the deal was good
but I just didn't care for the car it was to soft, now don't get me wrong it's a great starting point if you want to build (and spend money)
thats how I ended up with the Parnelli Jones car it just felt and sounded better