Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #1

Default 2010 California tectonic Google-map overlay

I love all the info that's being provided via Google maps. This is beautiful, cool and more than a bit scary. Is there a fault under YOUR house?
http://www.quake.ca.gov/gmaps/GMC/stategeologicmap.html
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I need to get an earthquake kit. I have the basics (matches, flashlights, etc), but I doubt our water supply is adequate.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I need to get an earthquake kit. I have the basics (matches, flashlights, etc), but I doubt our water supply is adequate.
I finished C.E.R.T. a few weeks. There's so much that can go so wrong so fast, it's kinda scary.

These guys are good (and local) supplier of all kinds of medical/survival kits:

http://www.earthquake-management.com/

Don't forget things like you can sterilize water (8 drops bleach/ gallon) and your water heater has quite a bit of water in it, so do the fill tanks of your toilet. Preparation isn't a huge amount of work, but you do need to think about sooner rather than later.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #4

Default Earthquake, oh my...wife is a CEM.

Everything is bolted down, and secured with food-water-ammo, parachutes, life-rafts, jumpsuits, tents, turrets, motes and dragons. The puppies are glued to the floor, the pictures are screwed to the walls, and hard hats..oh-yesss, lots-o-fun, check lists that have check lists, call contacts out of state, mind you, and her friends... do the same damn things. Yes "I" bolted all the furniture to the floors and walls, "I" tied off the lights with steel cables, "I" secured the TV's to hard mounts etc. etc. X 10000, by direction of the "Lady Civil Service Commander", my-girl. I got me my survival kit made up it's in the garage, a Costco size bottle of Vodka and Beef Jerky, so when we have the big one I can blame falling down and flatulence on the quaking stuff. Great site I did not know about it, but the "Girl" said she showed it to me ALREADY. I'm So Safe how-bout-you.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTS > Some View Post
Everything is bolted down, and secured with food-water-ammo, parachutes, life-rafts, jumpsuits, tents, turrets, motes and dragons. The puppies are glued to the floor, the pictures are screwed to the walls, and hard hats..oh-yesss, lots-o-fun, check lists that have check lists, call contacts out of state, mind you, and her friends... do the same damn things. Yes "I" bolted all the furniture to the floors and walls, "I" tied off the lights with steel cables, "I" secured the TV's to hard mounts etc. etc. X 10000, by direction of the "Lady Civil Service Commander", my-girl. I got me my survival kit made up it's in the garage, a Costco size bottle of Vodka and Beef Jerky, so when we have the big one I can blame falling down and flatulence on the quaking stuff. Great site I did not know about it, but the "Girl" said she showed it to me ALREADY. I'm So Safe how-bout-you.
You're doomed. No duct tape.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

Default Thanks so much.

Yes Duckkkk tape, and your one of those bolt downs too, "I see survival people".
Old 05-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTS > Some View Post
Yes Duckkkk tape
"Etymology

The origin of the name of the product, "duck tape" or "duct tape", is the subject of some disagreement.

One view [13] is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers either because it resembled strips of cotton duck or because the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house, where tents were forgotten and ductwork needed sealing, not ammunition cases. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive product. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape". This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 advertisement for surplus government property.[14] The Oxford English Dictionary gives a 1902 quotation for "100,000 yards of cotton duck tape" being used to protect the cables of the Brooklyn Bridge.[15] Thus a fabric duck tape was available to which an adhesive could have been added."

In any case, whether it is an error or a preservation of the original usage, the term "duct tape" is used for the product today.[16] Duck Tape is also a brand name for this product in some countries.

Quote:
, and your one of those bolt downs too, "I see survival people".
Sounds like I'm a complete amateur compared to your wife. Survival is useful if you find living a worthwhile goal. We're pretty comfortable in the modern world and assume rather a lot about societal structures, despite some pretty catastrophic evidence to the contrary on a regular basis. It's not so much that I expect the collapse of civilization , it's just that the difference between suffering miserably for a few days or a week or two and camping out in your back yard requires a little bit of thinking and preparation. That's all really.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #8

Default Hats off to you.

Smiles, and thanks for the step off to share your care for all, it seems that fun helps displace the ugly around when we have to deal with the bad spells in life. And, thank you for the reminder of how thin a line that we all walk, for our brief moments of share.

Take care.