Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Lucky Tune

The last time I tuned my setup it took months to dial it in. Since then I've intercooled it, and changed the pump which changed the pressure.

Took it out tonight with the wideband, and finally ran it full boost to redline... and the AFR is just about perfect. 12.2:1... wow. Did not expect that.

PS, that car is a beast. Dropped the tire pressure down to 22 and the rear end still wanders. I think I'm going to just run it at 17. Thats about the lowest you can safely run ya?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

You'll chew up your tires pretty good at 17psi if you drive them around like that. DRs are typically run at the track in the 10-15psi range. Better to pony up scratch for good tires (NT01s, etc.) for as few miles as you're really driving and run them around 30psi cold. If launching is your goal, you'll probably need to lighten the rear spring; squat aids traction as long as contact patch remains constant(ish).

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #4

When I had dr's, BFG and MT's, I ran them at 30psi on the street and 15 at the track. They dont last long as it is and the car will feel super loose in the rear with that low of a pressure on the street, especially on turns.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Im not terribly worried about chewing up the tires... itll just make it more of a priority for me to get new ones.

The car moved forward so much more easily at 22psi than it did at 35. Maybe I wont drop it any lower but Im not going any higher.

And these are Nitto tires, but just the 55s.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #6

Then just get some good drag radials. If theyre reg 555's then youre just heating up the sidewall with too low of a tire pressure. Idk what the profile is but touch the sidewall after driving and see if its heating up too much. All you need is a tire failure when you get on it. Some good dr's will somewhat hook at higher pressures, after you heat them up, but you gotta get used to knowing youre not really gonna hook on the street unless you drive on slicks. Just save the wot's for the track or when youre up to speed.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

I drop my michelin super sports to 25psi cold at the track but they have a very stiff sidewall. Every tire is different. I had 555's before. I liked them, they had decent grip when hot but I always had them at 30-35psi.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Remember, every time you get in a car, your life is riding on less than half an inch of rubber.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Remember, every time you get in a car, your life is riding on less than half an inch of rubber.
Or tiny little bearings that the whole weight of the car is on.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I wonder how much weight a solid rubber tire would add. Prob a bunch. I remember picking up those 17 Torq Thrust wheels and thinking that they were lighter than the tires.