Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Site Sponsor
InjectorsPlus

Default What is a street motor?

So....I'm having a discussion with someone off line. I am told that all the theory about building motors to race has no bearing in cars that require "street motors" in "street cars". They don't use 5000 Stall converters and don't need power in the mid-high RPM ranges.

I am told that a "street motor" makes most of its power between 5500 and tops out at 6000 RPMs and has a ton of torque down low. Sounds more like a tow truck to me.

My CTS has a redline of 7000, and most cars from the factory are redlined at least at 7000.

It is my opinion that TODAY's street motors are at least 7000 RPM motors, that 5500-6000 is antiquated thinking or for tow trucks.

Can you help me define what constitutes a "street motor".

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
So....I'm having a discussion with someone off line. I am told that all the theory about building motors to race has no bearing in cars that require "street motors" in "street cars". They don't use 5000 Stall converters and don't need power in the mid-high RPM ranges.

I am told that a "street motor" makes most of its power between 5500 and tops out at 6000 RPMs and has a ton of torque down low. Sounds more like a tow truck to me.

My CTS has a redline of 7000, and most cars from the factory are redlined at least at 7000.

It is my opinion that TODAY's street motors are at least 7000 RPM motors, that 5500-6000 is antiquated thinking or for tow trucks.

Can you help me define what constitutes a "street motor".

Thanks.
Hmmm, my short list(off the top of my head):

-has to run on 91 octane
-has to be able to be driven in traffic without overheating
Old 11-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Hmmm, my short list(off the top of my head):

-has to run on 91 octane
-has to be able to be driven in traffic without overheating
it also has to make girls want to throw their panites at you when they hear the rumble of a v8. i have to roll around with my windows up these days.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Street motor = 91 octane or less and can cool and charge itself in traffic.

I don't care if it spins to 10K rpm and makes 1200hp. But no blocks filled with gel and no race gas and alternators are a must. Electric water pumps are borderline race car territory, if it can stay cool without moving then it passes my test.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Street motor = 91 octane or less and can cool and charge itself in traffic.

I don't care if it spins to 10K rpm and makes 1200hp. But no blocks filled with gel and no race gas and alternators are a must. Electric water pumps are borderline race car territory, if it can stay cool without moving then it passes my test.
Holy crap, we actually almost completely agree

I know a couple Cobra guys with the Mezuire Electric water pumps and they're most definitely street cars.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #6
Internet Tough Guy

I don't think RPM has any real factor in determining whether a motor is street or strip.

My definition:
-Runs on 91
-Runs without overheating
-Minimal start-up time
-Managable in traffic
Old 11-08-2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
I don't think RPM has any real factor in determining whether a motor is street or strip.

My definition:
-Runs on 91
-Runs without overheating
-Minimal start-up time
-Managable in traffic
91 and not overheating are my main factors. Electric this and that are not to much of a concern for me.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 11-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #8

I define a street motor as one that has a large area under the torque curve over a large rpm range. One example is a 183ci V6 with 185 or more ft-lbs of torque at the wheels from 2200rpm to 6200rpm.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Super Moderator

So you would say a 1.5 CRX motor is not a street motor?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Fast & Filthy

You must be talking to an old time gear head. The reason he is saying 6000rpms is because the engines back in the day were larger and made more low end torque. Todays engines are less cubes with shorter strokes and because of that they pull to 6500-7000. But that is also why automatics today are 5 to 7 speeds with a 4.xx rearend gear instead of a 3 speed with 2.xx gears. They need more gear because they don't have the same grunt.

You will never be able to define a street engine because it's all a matter of opinion and what someone is willing to put up with. Lets use the 91 octane limit as an example. Most people will say that a street engine has to be run on 91 but what about the person who's willing to run their car on C16 all the time? Let's say that this person drove his car back and forth to work everyday but you didn't know what fuel he ran. By just knowing that he drove it everyday to work would you say his car is a street car? How about after you found out that he ran C16? Would it be any less of a street car?