Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Brake Upgrade Fitment

I asked this ques a while ago on CF, and not surprisingly no one on that forum knew, bu I have more faith in you guys.

So, since my 19" wheels wont be limiting the size of the calipers I can fit, and since my wheels are spaced 2" out with the forged spacers, my brakes are way far away from the wheel.

So, since space isnt an issue, and since I have a welder and an angle grinder and thus the ability to make a custom bracket, cant I fit any brakes with a 5x4 3/4 bolt patten on the car that I want?? Is there some other limiting factor? I know Ill need to research brake proportioning more, but as far as fitment, wont basically anything fit with a custom bracket?
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Yes. Your critical path is getting your brake pedal/booster/mc/proportioning valves to work correcting with the calipers you choose. I vaguely recall some guys with C3s and bigger wheels going to C5ZO6 brakes with disappointing results, but the cause wasn't the calipers, it was that the the MC and proportioning wasn't matched to the bore stroke of the calipers. Basically, everything is a system and all the parts have to work together. You can futz around on margins, but if you want big brakes on an older Vette, you'll have to do your homework on MC and proportioning.

I think Wilwood now has a whole system for C3s that's not too expensive, something in the $1,500+- as I recall including Rotors. There's another company up north that went all the way with new hubs and everything. I think that's more in the $4k range though.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Remember whatever fabbed up brackets you make are taking repeated torqing from pad application and even some heat cycling. Don't dick around too much. There's a reason the mounting points for calipers are beefy.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Those brackets should really bee tig welded on the final product. I remember using a calculator when I did my 5 lug swap on the race car for proper MC bore size. You'll probably also need a few proportioning valves to screw with proper pressures. I have one mid line towards to rear of the car to adjust rear bias and total line pressure.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:22 AM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Not the one I used but its a start
http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

GT500 brembos are easy to come by

Stopping the world!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Mustangs are 5x4 1/2 though right? Although I guess you could get the rotors from a Chevy to work with it.

Thanks guys, I think if I did it Id just go with a booster/ master cylinder for the same car. Drilling holes in the pedal assembly and fabbing a rod connection would be easier than doing math. Hahaha

As far as the bracket goes, you guys know me, Id weld it with my mig. But whatever it is it would be twice as thick as the factory bracket, welded on both sides and weigh 30lbs.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
pain's fun, hit me again

They are but a brembo caliper isnt designated to a rotor. They're for a 14" sized rotor and as long as you have the proper bolt pattern when you make the bracket you'll be fine. Brembo blanks are reasonably priced.

Stopping the world!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Mustangs are 5x4 1/2 though right? Although I guess you could get the rotors from a Chevy to work with it.

Thanks guys, I think if I did it Id just go with a booster/ master cylinder for the same car. Drilling holes in the pedal assembly and fabbing a rod connection would be easier than doing math. Hahaha

As far as the bracket goes, you guys know me, Id weld it with my mig. But whatever it is it would be twice as thick as the factory bracket, welded on both sides and weigh 30lbs.
Whenever you decide on a caliper I have the equation saved on my desktop and i'll be able to figure out what size you need without moving the fulcrum of the lever. Work smarter and all...

Stopping the world!