Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #31
Super Moderator

Ron, I did understand what those guys were saying btw. An aftermarket control arm won't fix the problem at droop, I get that. But the reality is, as you pointed out, those springs are so insanely stiff, if he is able to back that spindle off the frame 3/8 of an inch (which an aftermarket control arm, lowering the BJ location, thereby slightly correcting the camber, moving the top of the spindle out as the control arm goes up the camber arc and consequently away from the frame... by juuust a bit) should be enough to fix my friends problem. Because like you realize, that thing isn't going to compress much anyways. And realistically he doesn't even offroad it. Train tracks will be his biggest obstacle.

But I don't feel like explaining all of that on dezertrangers. I'm so bored with those guys. Such a mistake not to post in the fab section. 95% of that thread is bullshit, and it's 3 fucking pages. Like I don't have better things to do with my time.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #32
Super Moderator

And you're welcome for the speedway motors link! I'm sure that will be saving you some money.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #33
Super Moderator

Btw, the real solution to my friends problem (and it is fucking hilarious to me that not one person on dezertrangers suggested it) would be to buy the old style camburg spindles. They are much taller than stock, utilize the stock style BJ, and being so much taller, would move the arms waaayyy back up the camber arc... moving the spindle back away from the frame.

The fagtech spindles don't do that, and the new camburg spindles utilize that heim joint which would require a new upper arm too. Which is another, much much more expensive alternative.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #34
Super Moderator

This is the newer arm, but still, look at the spindle height and the consequent angle of the arm and how far it pushes the top of the spindle away from the frame.

This is the answer.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #35
Fast & Filthy

Even if you would have put it in the fab section the same jerks would have replied. The whole site is like that. There are a lot of folks on there that are experts and know what they are doing but there are also a lot of kids on there who dads race or have friends that race so they think they know everything. I find it amusing when I go to the profile for some of the people who give advice and find that they have a stock truck with bigger tires and have never built anything. You just have to get use to it. They are trying to prove that they are men but do it by acting like they are 15 years old.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #36
Super Moderator

And thank you for sticking up for me about my car. I can't believe the nerve of some of them to diss my sports car when they have enough trouble understanding their own truck world.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #37
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
And thank you for sticking up for me about my car. I can't believe the nerve of some of them to diss my sports car when they have enough trouble understanding their own truck world.
Anytime.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #38
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Who does Will work for?
He doesn't work for anyone. He is free lance. Does all the welding and fab work. Showed some of his work to Ben.

His shop is one down from mine.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #39
Super Moderator

Ron, best guess. How far back could you set your engine before the bellhousing started to interfere with your knees?

On the less extreme side, how far till you would need to cut up the dash?

And more importantly, how far do you think it would need to go back so it was entirely behind the front axle?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #40
Fast & Filthy

Not sure. What engine and what trans? What are the goals for the truck?