Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #1731
pain's fun, hit me again

From Name Origins
" German Meaning:
The name Guy is a German baby name. In German the meaning of the name Guy is: warrior. "

Was required to do a report on the meanings of our names when we were in grade school. My christian school was less than pleased with my findings and tried to "alter" my report. Hilarious.

Also, let the italian jokes start because Guy=Guidano/Guido and has nearly the same meaning in italian lineage. Which is why my dad chose the name Guy, to honor my grandfather (Guidano/Gpa Guy) And the German Heritage too. Boom, doesn't seem like such a lazy choice now does it?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #1732
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
From Name Origins
" German Meaning:
The name Guy is a German baby name. In German the meaning of the name Guy is: warrior. "

Was required to do a report on the meanings of our names when we were in grade school. My christian school was less than pleased with my findings and tried to "alter" my report. Hilarious.

Also, let the italian jokes start because Guy=Guidano/Guido and has nearly the same meaning in italian lineage. Which is why my dad chose the name Guy, to honor my grandfather (Guidano/Gpa Guy) And the German Heritage too. Boom, doesn't seem like such a lazy choice now does it?
Sorry to disappoint, but Guy is Norman French for the ancient Germanic Wido which goes back into Pagan Germanic times and is related to the element "Wood"

http://www.behindthename.com/name/guy

Guido is Italian for Guy though. So naming you Guy after grandpa Guido is sensible enough. But it appears to have nothing to do with the idea of "warrior".

Krieger is German for warrior/soldier.

Like Robby Krieger, guitarist from The Doors.

Guy

The German form of Guy is Veit.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #1733
pain's fun, hit me again

Maybe the actual translation of the word in German, but it's verifiable by several different lineage markers. Not just one site, hundreds, I even remember the book they had us use. There was some German knight who went haywire and was beheading people n the battlefield as he saw fit. Not a good name to name your child from what I remember. Names will have different meaning over the word. I can supply the multiple links when I get home.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #1734
I, Vettezuki

I've also known a few Americans named Guy. There are some famous French Canadian athletes named Guy. A shit ton of French dudes named Guy. I have a bunch of German colleagues. I've never heard the name used among modern Germans.

The only actual formal etymolgy TRACING the name I can find is French Norman from Old German (Wido).

I don't particularly care. Simply I NEVER thought of Guy as a German name and can't find much (any) actual evidence to support it. But I haven't put a lot of time into it. I stand to be corrected.

Anyway, I love the French. A lot of great things about their culture and a very rich history. In no way I'm sideways making fun of you for having what I think of as a French name.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #1735
pain's fun, hit me again

I'm just saying I have done the research before, so did my dad. Even a quick Google search confirms what I've always believed. More than enough effort has been placed for it.

Stopping the world!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #1736
I, Vettezuki

Your Google must work different than mine. I did, however, find a list of 524 male names connoting warrior. Guy wasn't it in it.

http://www.20000-names.com/warrior_n...es_male_02.htm

I'm just fucking with you now. I like the name. And for that matter I like wood. And I like French culture. You're either a warrior type or your not. A rose is a rose by any other name home slice.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #1737
pain's fun, hit me again

I hate the french, and french culture. Must be the gGerman in me.

Stopping the world!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #1738
Neanderthal

2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #1739
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I hate the french, and french culture. Must be the gGerman in me.
Une telle honte, les femmes francaises sont chauds.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #1740
pain's fun, hit me again

Sie Ficken

Stopping the world!