Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Choosing Plug Temps for FI

So, what are the parameters for choosing the right plug tempratures for forced induction? Also, what effect might other fuels, particularly E85 or even E100 have on choosing plugs?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
So, what are the parameters for choosing the right plug tempratures for forced induction? Also, what effect might other fuels, particularly E85 or even E100 have on choosing plugs?

hmmm how do i wanna answer this it can get tricky and long!!

basic answer = e85-e100 u want a hotter burning spark, petrol based fuels u want a colder spark

long answer.........

platinum or iriduim ngk or denso spark plug in the 6-7 head range with a small gap *.018-.022* for e85-e100 and 8-9 heat range with a tad bigger gap *.024-.030 for 100oct- c16/q16

reason i said what i did for e85-e100
- it takes a little longer to burn and its a tad harder to ignite *mainly at start up when its cold- because cold air or cold engine mixed with cool ethonal mixed with its cooling propertys will put out ur average spark really easily and start up can be a bitch sometimes.*...so u would want a quick hot ass spark to get it going...but you dont want a big gap because it will transfer too much heat to the fuel making it burn hotter then it needs too and pretty much nullifying the cooling property of ethonal

reasons i said what i did for petrol based fuels
- when you get past the 105 octane level shit starts getting harder to ignite but will burn super fast and super hot compared to e85.
-so you give stuff like 110 leaded to c16 a nice colder spark to keep combustion temps down but a bigger gap to make sure that colder spark can ignite that hard to ignite fuel.

also the platinum or iridium transfer a more consistant spark because they better conducting metals then copper.

now if you want to get deeper ignition.....make sure you have a good ignition system!! distibutors will only take you so far...before ull need to go coil on plug....and hold a harder charge.......and jesus dont get me started on fuel systems!!!

its kinda crazy that you asked this because yesterday i was messing around with my gaps and lowering them made all my knock go away! by the way im on ngk 7 heat range iridium parks plugs...freakin cost $15 each from dealership :-( i cracked 2

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
hmmm how do i wanna answer this it can get tricky and long!!

basic answer = e85-e100 u want a hotter burning spark, petrol based fuels u want a colder spark

long answer.........

platinum or iriduim ngk or denso spark plug in the 6-7 head range with a small gap *.018-.022* for e85-e100 and 8-9 heat range with a tad bigger gap *.024-.030 for 100oct- c16/q16

reason i said what i did for e85-e100
- it takes a little longer to burn and its a tad harder to ignite *mainly at start up when its cold- because cold air or cold engine mixed with cool ethonal mixed with its cooling propertys will put out ur average spark really easily and start up can be a bitch sometimes.*...so u would want a quick hot ass spark to get it going...but you dont want a big gap because it will transfer too much heat to the fuel making it burn hotter then it needs too and pretty much nullifying the cooling property of ethonal

reasons i said what i did for petrol based fuels
- when you get past the 105 octane level shit starts getting harder to ignite but will burn super fast and super hot compared to e85.
-so you give stuff like 110 leaded to c16 a nice colder spark to keep combustion temps down but a bigger gap to make sure that colder spark can ignite that hard to ignite fuel.

also the platinum or iridium transfer a more consistant spark because they better conducting metals then copper.

now if you want to get deeper ignition.....make sure you have a good ignition system!! distibutors will only take you so far...before ull need to go coil on plug....and hold a harder charge.......and jesus dont get me started on fuel systems!!!

its kinda crazy that you asked this because yesterday i was messing around with my gaps and lowering them made all my knock go away! by the way im on ngk 7 heat range iridium parks plugs...freakin cost $15 each from dealership :-( i cracked 2
I'm asking in preparation for RX-Snake, but asked here because it's a good general info topic.

- We will be using an HEI Distributor.
- The motor is setup with something like 9.x:1 static compression.
- I'm really hoping we can fix the 174 Blower. It's a roots style blower than can get up to about 12psi boost on that motor.

I was thinking of using E85 because a) the cooling properties help mitigate the very hot nature of a roots blower b) will allow us to run more timing c) is half the price of race gas d) I'm looking for an extra quirk on the project car for that cool factor.

Plus, as the hippie tree huggers continue their reign of terror, no matter how poorly reasoned E85 should become more readily available, so I'm interested in this fuel as a performance fuel.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)