Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Least favorite make and why?
Ford 3 15.79%
GM 2 10.53%
Chrysler 4 21.05%
Honda 2 10.53%
Toyota 1 5.26%
BMW 0 0%
Mercedes 0 0%
Nissan 0 0%
Mitsubishi 4 21.05%
Subaru 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Your least favorite make.

And WHY.

I'm going to go with Dodge.

Here's a story for ya. I spent about an hour talking with Tony B (the owner of Fullerton Dodge, the buff guy from TV) about Vipers. He's owned 5 or 6 now, if not more. He said that they're awesome to drive, and I'll admit it's definetely one of the most attractive cars ever made. But he claimed that several of them overheated! And said that they're just not reliable... from the local king of Dodge himself.

My mom's Intrepid also had problems, so did my friends Sebring. All at low miles. My DD has 80K miles, and has already managed to toast a transmission, a timing belt and consequently all of the valves. I've also needed to replace the shifter cables and the spark plug wires, they were arcing on the coil. So major engine work, and a manual trans at less than 100K miles... I'm not in love.

Most Ford's sucked in the 90s, but at least they're getting better. Dodge on the other hand has not. Although my mom's SRT is fast, yes, it's just not reliable. For only being a few years old, it has already been though a full set of rotors (with moderate/ light use) it has needed repeated electrical work, and from what I hear, these things are notorious for toasting transmissions... sort of lke the 1st gen Neons. Also, my friends Magnum (Hemi) is now having lifter problems at less than 40K miles.

Also, in this decade, Dodge has had several SUV/ truck ball joint recalls... It's a f*cking ball joint! Get it right already, or use the ones from the 60s that seemed to work for ya! And the PT cruisers that had engine fire problems, because the power steering hoses would fail and spray PS oil all over the hot motor.

My most favorite (reasonably priced) auto manufacturer to date would have to be GM. Their trucks have balls, don't seem to have any problems, and are just fantastic IMHO. Plus, they don't have problems with failing injectors and turbos that the Ford Power Strokes seem to. Their sports cars have incredibly stout power trains that seem to be the choice of the aftermarket world, regardless of the generation. It's more common to see a Ford Hot Rod with a SBC or an LS1 than a SBF or a Mod Motor.

I know that I have limited experience, and my little tiny perspective probably means nothing, but this is how I feel. And this should be a good thread for the new Cafe that just opened up.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Boost Junkie

Is there a reason you didn't put Dodge in the poll? This is a really tough call for me... all these companies have something that I like and dislike... with the exception of Honda and Mitsubishi I think.. If I had to pick... I think I'd say Chrysler. Maybe I'm shallow, I just can't think of ANY cars that I like made by chrysler (i still like Dodge although I will agree to the toasting transmissions bit...)... Oh OH OH SCION. There you go. I hate Scions. They are ugly, slow, not aerodynamic, they seem to attract drivers who are assholes (in both personality and driving) and I just don't like them. They feel cheap to me.

Adam... memo:

Add Scion and Dodge to list

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Dodge is a subsidiary of Chrysler, as is/ was: Eagle & Jeep. Chrysler is the parent company, and a vote for Chrysler (mine) is a vote for Dodge. Which reminds me, my friends Jeep Wrangler has electrical issues and freeze plug issues, as did my friend's Cherokee. If you look at a Jeep motor, or a Dodge motor, you won't see Rams Horns emblems on the cylinder heads, you'll see the Chrysler logo.

Scion is a subsidiary of Toyota, as is Lexus.

GM is to include: Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Saturn & Oldsmobile.

Ford: Mercury.

Nissan: Infiniti.

Honda: Acura

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Dodge is a subsidiary of Chrysler, as is/ was: Eagle & Jeep. Chrysler is the parent company, and a vote for Chrysler (mine) is a vote for Dodge. Which reminds me, my friends Jeep Wrangler has electrical issues and freeze plug issues, as did my friend's Cherokee. If you look at a Jeep motor, or a Dodge motor, you won't see Rams Horns emblems on the cylinder heads, you'll see the Chrysler logo.

Scion is a subsidiary of Toyota, as is Lexus.

GM is to include: Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, Buick, Pontiac, Saturn & Oldsmobile.

Ford: Mercury.

Nissan: Infiniti.

Honda: Acura

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some.
If you're truly wanting some real answers to this poll, why not include those? I prefer some acuras to hondas, althought the same company essential they do manufacture different cars. The Acura TL is a luxury sedan of which honda has no equivelent model. NO DISCRIMINATION. I feel that Lexus manufacters better cars than Toyota, I know these companies are all owned by these parent companies, but seeing as they do manufacture different cars with very specific different levels of performance and luxury, it's not politically correct to make these certain exclusions.

under certain conditions the chassis may be nearly idential, the wheelbase, engine design, etc... but something else results in a better car. 350z vs g35 for example. nearly identical, but which car is better? the G is more expensive, A luxury so to speak seating four instead of two.. DEFINITELY a + in someones books, whereas the 350z appears to have a more purpose built look with the lower cost tuners in mind.

I feel that you should humor me and add in some additional companies. I like toyota, I hate scion..

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>

Old 12-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
If you're truly wanting some real answers to this poll, why not include those? I prefer some acuras to hondas, althought the same company essential they do manufacture different cars. The Acura TL is a luxury sedan of which honda has no equivelent model. NO DISCRIMINATION. I feel that Lexus manufacters better cars than Toyota, I know these companies are all owned by these parent companies, but seeing as they do manufacture different cars with very specific different levels of performance and luxury, it's not politically correct to make these certain exclusions.

under certain conditions the chassis may be nearly idential, the wheelbase, engine design, etc... but something else results in a better car. 350z vs g35 for example. nearly identical, but which car is better? the G is more expensive, A luxury so to speak seating four instead of two.. DEFINITELY a + in someones books, whereas the 350z appears to have a more purpose built look with the lower cost tuners in mind.

I feel that you should humor me and add in some additional companies. I like toyota, I hate scion..

Polls are limited to 10 choices.

Yes Acuras are different from Hondas, much more refined and better quality all around. But they're all made by Honda. You need to look at the company overall, I hate Scions as much as the next guy. And the automatic Scions are notorious for premature failure. But that's only one bad apple, on the whole I still trust Toyota products.

You do make a valid point though, I doubt that Toyota would ever put their name on something made as cheaply as an XB. Scions are cheap Toyotas with added bling to compensate. But once again, only 10 polling options.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
Super Moderator

How is Ford still at 0%???

Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Boost Junkie

Ok I feel better now I still decline to vote because I refuse to vote for Toyota... I can't hate on Toyota and Lexus, but would hate on SCION if I could!

<guy in turbo eclipse>

Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I would say Mitsubishi makes the worst overall lineup. Besides the Evo, they make nothing I'd want. Honda isn't far behind. Mechanically they are great, but the current designs for both Acura and Honda are

Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Neanderthal

I hate Chevies.
2016 Nissan Altma

Old 12-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #10

Chrysler, only because VW isn't on the list. Love the look of the new challenger but not enough to make up for being mopar!