Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #121
I, Vettezuki

enkei

Re: Budget
Iti is to be restrained but doesn't have to be minimized at all costs. Because the expensive bit (labor) is being done by us, we're already saving a ton. To give a concrete example, yes, I'd rent a booth for $150 over shooting in my garage. I'd like to keep total body/paint in a <= $1,500 if possible, including bumpers and flares. But I'm just trying to get a picture of how much will cost to do properly in the first place. TCI (total cost involved) including all the little things like sand paper, scotchbrite, whatever.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #122
Super Moderator

Sandpaper! There something to add to the list. I spent about 10x as much on sand paper as I thought that I would.

Aaron, I've never heard someone say that cloth should be used for rigidity. But you sound experienced so I'll take your word. I've found that the other shit tends to be stronger, and the cloth is simply better for forming when you have little pre-existing shape to go off of.

I was thinking the opposite, that we'd be doing rear flares and not front flares. My idea was to foam up the rear fenders, carve away till it looks kewl, make some molds, make some glass with an added lip. Cut away the metal fenders leaving enough to screw the lip of the new fenders into, while epoxying the glass to the metal. Then griding a groove along the seam. Filling that groove and shaping the transition with something other than cheap lightweight filler that will most definitely crack, seeing as how we are bonding two dissimilar materials, as if bolting and bonding in flares wasn't difficult enough. If you want to use Rage to fill the seam of the bond, I'm going to make a big disclaimer before I start to work... plan for cracks.

As far as the self-etching primer... cool. From what I've read epoxy is the shit to use on metal. I had good luck with PPG black, others on the autobody forums seem to have the hots for SPI. But I'm just mainly concerned with the poly.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #123
Super Moderator

I found many pieces of dried up Fibertech, Lightweight and Evercoat adhesive/filler on my driveway. The lightweight stuff will crack like chalk if you try to bend it, the adhesive/filler is a little better but not much. The Fibertech will bend over backwards and never crack... juuust a thought.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #124
Progeny of the Great Apocolypse

I think we're talking about different uses for filler and that might be why we're confused. This is probably why we are meeting soon. haha Yeah I was talking to Ben some time ago and he said something about buying rear flares and making front flares. I was hesitant to mess with the rear considering it's a uni body and I don't wanna mess with the rigidity of the body.

So were you able to meet Saturday in the evening? I have to work till 5ish so I won't be over till later.

Let's get psyched
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #125
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Cult Aaronmageddon View Post
I think we're talking about different uses for filler and that might be why we're confused. This is probably why we are meeting soon. haha Yeah I was talking to Ben some time ago and he said something about buying rear flares and making front flares. I was hesitant to mess with the rear considering it's a uni body and I don't wanna mess with the rigidity of the body.

So were you able to meet Saturday in the evening? I have to work till 5ish so I won't be over till later.

Let's get psyched
Point of clarification:

Front Falres: None
Rear Flares: Have slight preference to make (for cool factor, learning, etc.), but can buy and mold in
Front Bumper: Mold
Rear Bumper: Mold

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #126
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Leedom, enkeivette, DeathCult, how's Saturday March 21 for a first meeting of the minds on body and paint, as well as starting the actual work. Anybody can come and check it out, but I want to maintain some focus on doing actual work (Sean) and 3 to 4 people hovering around a car and tossing around ideas is about the max before clusterfuckation starts to set in.

Aaron, how about the materials list yo?
Shannon and I are going to be going to the Swallows Day Parade in San Juan this saturday (no comments from the peanut gallery) so I am not yet sure when I would be by. What is the plan of attack for the day? If I come in the morning the you would only probably get me till about 11. If I come later then I probably would not get there until 3 or 4.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #127

Send a message via AIM to kameleongt

ok guys I can get you anything on the paint body side if you prefer a certain brand just send me everything down to the part number and ill get it, I can get some of the fiberglass stuff, resin but it takes time usually and by time I mean a while because the warehouses we deal with don't carry that stuff. I could also possibly get a booth not the greatest but a booth none the less its in orange but I would need exact time it will be used and for how long<< and it should be a good price. send me a PM with the exact stuff you would want and I can get it same day or at least a price on the stuff

Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #128
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Shannon and I are going to be going to the Swallows Day Parade in San Juan this saturday (no comments from the peanut gallery) so I am not yet sure when I would be by. What is the plan of attack for the day? If I come in the morning the you would only probably get me till about 11. If I come later then I probably would not get there until 3 or 4.
Haha, Swallows Day. OH, sorry.

My guess is enkei will show up around 11:00 and probably scratch his head for a good long time. My brother will swing by in the early evening after work, so really any time. I'm not sure how much real work we'll be donig. I'd certainly like to get it rolling as much as possible if it makes sense (like scuffing and whatnot).

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #129
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameleongt View Post
ok guys I can get you anything on the paint body side if you prefer a certain brand just send me everything down to the part number and ill get it, I can get some of the fiberglass stuff, resin but it takes time usually and by time I mean a while because the warehouses we deal with don't carry that stuff. I could also possibly get a booth not the greatest but a booth none the less its in orange but I would need exact time it will be used and for how long<< and it should be a good price. send me a PM with the exact stuff you would want and I can get it same day or at least a price on the stuff
Thanks. I think we'll stick to getting the paint and prep materials from you because of the short turn around. The other stuff we'll go off the shelf, Aaron seems to know a place.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #130
I, Vettezuki

enkei,

How much of what kinds of prep materials should we get to start with. I mean sand paper (what grade(s)), scotch brite, etc.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)