Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #51

Any pics yet??
Old 01-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #52
Super Moderator

Well I didn't paint the car today, here's what happened. Got it in the booth, masked it all off, mixed up the sealer and sprayed it on. After the second coat I could still see sanding scratches and even some waves (after days and days of guide coat/ block sanding) I was so bummed. Almost decided to take the car home for another coat of surfacer. But, I showed the head painter at this shop, and he recommended that I just block wet sand it with 600 grit.

So, I did. I sprayed a third coat of sealer, then I spent 5 hours in the booth wetsanding (thank God my friend came to help) and I removed all of the larger sanding scratches and a lot (if not all) of the waves.

Here's my question, can I spray color right over the wetsanded (600 grit) epoxy sealer? Or will I see scratches? I was told that I would not see 320 grit scratches through the sealer and... I did! So, will 600 grit scratches show through the paint?!

I'd rather shoot right over the sanded sealer. Before 600 sanding, there was a lot of orange peel. Now there's no peel, obviously. PPG recommends that you mix 4:2:1, IMO you can use a lot more reducer than that. At the end of the night just doing burn through touch ups, I mixed it 2:1:1 and it went on much smoother. I would like to try even more reducer.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #53
Super Moderator

I go back in tomorrow morning btw. After some touch up sanding and cleaning, it's color time.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #54

320 grit will show thru the sealer. We wet-sand the primer surfacer with either 500 or 600 grit prior to sealer or base-coat. Very important on metallics, not so much on solid single stage top-coats.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #55
Super Moderator

I wish I had talked to you before hand. But it may have turned out for the best, had I not seen the sanding scratches I would never have wet sanded with 600 grit and gotten rid of a bunch of little waves.

So should I post pics or let you guys wonder what it looks like till I see yall this Saturday?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #56
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I wish I had talked to you before hand. But it may have turned out for the best, had I not seen the sanding scratches I would never have wet sanded with 600 grit and gotten rid of a bunch of little waves.

So should I post pics or let you guys wonder what it looks like till I see yall this Saturday?
Just show up with it Saturday, and post pics after. That way we can think about it till then.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #57
Graphics B*tch

At least give us all a taste.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten