Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #1

Default Good places to go?

Where are some good places to go that aren't too difficult and are kid friendly? We went to that OHV area just north of Azusa in the reservoir. They told me they didn't think Id make it through there but it was very easy to get through in the Durango. I liked it up there because the kids really enjoyed playing in the water up there, so Im kinda looking for places the kids can do stuff like that. Any suggestions?

And Ben, glad I bought the Durango from you, does a lot better offroad than I expected. Now I need to get the Jeep motor rebuilt asap so I can take it out instead.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Check out the videos we took from the Silverwood run we've done a couple times. Ron brings his daughters up on that. It's a nice run with moderate to difficultish options along the trail.

Glad you're getting some great value from the Durango.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

When are you guys going again?

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 07-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Fast & Filthy

The trail is 2N17X by Silverwood lake but I wouldn't run it alone for the first time. Once you get to the top though there are a couple of places that are fun to hike on. A really fun place for the kids is Dish Pan Springs/Deep Creek in Big Bear which we usually do from the Silverwood trail. However, you won't make that in a stock Durango but the fun part for the kids is before the trail and you can get to it in a car. I don't know what the dirt roads numbers are but if you get a forest service map for Big Bear you'll see where it's at. You can park and hike up the creek. Don't forget to buy an adventure pass. There are a few pools that the kids can swim in as well.

Here are some pictures of the trail and the first few are from us hiking in the creek.

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showth...ght=father%27s
Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

That looks pretty cool. I was also looking at Cleghorn.

Im gonna do a 2" lift on the Durango here very soon.

When is the next trip up there?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Cleghorn is just a 2wd trail and there isn't really anything for the kids there.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #7

I cant remember the trails name right off of or near to Cleghorn where you have to cross the stream. Ill try and find the name.

Found it, its Lytle Creek.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
Fast & Filthy

Lytle Creek is right behind my house and is a good place to hike around with the kids. The easiest/quickest way to get there is to get off at the Sierra Ave exit and make a left. Sierra Ave becomes Lytle Creek Rd and you just take it straight back into the mountains. You'll pass the Lylte Creek Ranger Station if you need to buy an Adventure pass. If you don't have one, get one because the rangers patrol the area and will ticket you if your vehicle is parked without one. We always buy a year pass because we offroad so much.

There is one offroad trail up there which is 3N06A that you'll probably need 4wd to get up (one little section) only due to your wheel travel, unless you have a posi rear. I go up it in 2wd in the Explorer so but I think I have to use 4wd when it was stock.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #9

Great, Im pretty sure we will head up to Lytle Creek this weekend. One trail Ive been trying to look at on a map is the Mt Baldy one, where exactly is it located? Is the entrance on Glendora Ridge Road by Mt Baldy at the little parking lot?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
Fast & Filthy

I haven't been on it so I don't know.