Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Stupid idea

My Neon has a check engine light for no speedo sensor, because the plastic gear fell off inside the trans. So I was wondering how I'd get the car to pass smog without pulling the trans. Visual tests are so retarded.

I was thinking I could just disconnect the check engine light, but I remember hearing that the smog guys check to see the light turn on before they turn the car on... so what to do? I had the idea to connect it to the oil pressure light, it will turn on when you first put the key in and turn off when the motor fires. Just like the check engine light is supposed to.

Interested to see if this would work, just wanted to share my unethical idea with yall.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Intriguing. PM sent.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Internet Tough Guy

Most smog places will never know the difference. I have to say that replacing the speedo gear is easy, so why not just fix it?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Adam is anything but lazy, but whatever you think "cheap" is, he takes to levels you never thought possible.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #5

The speedo gear is easy to change out. Its probably held in by 1 bolt and 1 plug. Also, they hook up to your OBDII port, so they will know you have a CEL, or any pending codes. Just slip the guy some cash to overlook the speedo sensor issue.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The speedo gear is a plastic gear that mounts inside of my trans housing. The speedo sensor is held in by one bolt, but to change out the speedo gear you need to pull the trans and disassemble, unless you know something I don't. (The speedo gear is submersed in trans fluid to paint a better picture.)

I don't need to smog the car, nor will I. I was just day dreaming.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #7

You can put a resistor on the harness side of the plug to emulate the speedo sensor, ECU will think it's working fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Really? Any idea what value? Will that keep my speedo at a certain speed?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #9

Your going to have to test with an ohm meter and use Ohms law to figure what you need. Depending on the resistor you can get any random reading on the speedo but I'm assuming it will remain dead.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
My Neon has a check engine light for no speedo sensor, because the plastic gear fell off inside the trans. So I was wondering how I'd get the car to pass smog without pulling the trans. Visual tests are so retarded.

I was thinking I could just disconnect the check engine light, but I remember hearing that the smog guys check to see the light turn on before they turn the car on... so what to do? I had the idea to connect it to the oil pressure light, it will turn on when you first put the key in and turn off when the motor fires. Just like the check engine light is supposed to.

Interested to see if this would work, just wanted to share my unethical idea with yall.

If the car is 96 or newer,
The Smog machine will be hooked to the OBD 2 connector. If the code is set or pending it will flag it. Clearing codes may not work either. The monitors have to mostly be complete.