Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #21

I spent most of the summer shopping for my new daily driver. I test drove many cars, including the new SHO, G8 GXP, CTS-V, and STS-V for domestics. I thought the new CTS-V was the best of the bunch. I still have tution to pay for my daughters so I had to pass on the new CTS-V. I really liked the G8 GXP but I wanted some more creature comforts and I hated the knob to recline the seat back. The SHO was very impressive and quick (will run 12.7 with some tuning), but I wanted a RWD V8. I could afford the first gen CTS-V and I test drove them. I purchased my STS-V because for about the same price as a 2007 CTS-V I got a more luxurious car (much better materials in the interior). The CTS-V would handle a little better and can be modded for more power than the STS-V, but I thought the STS-V was a nicer car. The STS-V seems to be very rare. I have had mine since August, drove about 6000 miles and I still have not seen another one on the road. Hopefully in about 3 years when I am done with tution payments, I can pick up a nice V2 CTS-V.
I am looking forward to meet you all at a meet.

Bob
Old 10-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
I spent most of the summer shopping for my new daily driver. I test drove many cars, including the new SHO, G8 GXP, CTS-V, and STS-V for domestics. I thought the new CTS-V was the best of the bunch. I still have tution to pay for my daughters so I had to pass on the new CTS-V. I really liked the G8 GXP but I wanted some more creature comforts and I hated the knob to recline the seat back. The SHO was very impressive and quick (will run 12.7 with some tuning), but I wanted a RWD V8. I could afford the first gen CTS-V and I test drove them. I purchased my STS-V because for about the same price as a 2007 CTS-V I got a more luxurious car (much better materials in the interior). The CTS-V would handle a little better and can be modded for more power than the STS-V, but I thought the STS-V was a nicer car. The STS-V seems to be very rare. I have had mine since August, drove about 6000 miles and I still have not seen another one on the road. Hopefully in about 3 years when I am done with tution payments, I can pick up a nice V2 CTS-V.
I am looking forward to meet you all at a meet.

Bob
Great write up - it's interested to see the opinion of someone who has actually driven all those cars. I'm surprised the CTS-V (gen1) can be modded for more power than the STS-V? It seems like with a blown motor it's easier to pull more power out than with a N/A one. What's the limiting factor for power on the STS-V?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #23
Super Moderator

Old 10-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #24
Resident Avatar Gambler

I actually saw a black STS-V on the 91 on my way home from work today
Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Great write up - it's interested to see the opinion of someone who has actually driven all those cars. I'm surprised the CTS-V (gen1) can be modded for more power than the STS-V? It seems like with a blown motor it's easier to pull more power out than with a N/A one. What's the limiting factor for power on the STS-V?
The limiting factor is displacement. The Supercharged Northstar is 267ci and outputs over 100hp per liter stock with 12lbs of boost. D3 in Signal Hill has done alot of development on the Supercharged Northstar and 600hp (estimated flywheel hp) is about the limit (about $7000 worth of mods). You can get more hp and torque for less $$$ with a stroker engine and a magnacharger on the LS2. There are so many more options with a small block chevy engine than with the supercharged Northstar. When I was visiting D3, they felt and I agree that Supercharged Northstar won't be developed anymore by GM. D3 was starting to do some R&D on a screw type supercharger, but stopped because they felt that they won't be able to recoup the developement costs.

Bob
Old 10-07-2009, 01:06 AM   #26

Quote:
I actually saw a black STS-V on the 91 on my way home from work today
Wow I still haven't seen one on the road. I did see a black STS-V at D3 waiting for a dyno tune.
I thought I saw one on the 405 and I banzai weaved to catch up but it was a standard STS with a V grill.

Bob
Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #27
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . . When I was visiting D3, they felt and I agree that Supercharged Northstar won't be developed anymore by GM. . .
As I recall that's official from GM.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
The limiting factor is displacement. The Supercharged Northstar is 267ci and outputs over 100hp per liter stock with 12lbs of boost. D3 in Signal Hill has done alot of development on the Supercharged Northstar and 600hp (estimated flywheel hp) is about the limit (about $7000 worth of mods). You can get more hp and torque for less $$$ with a stroker engine and a magnacharger on the LS2. There are so many more options with a small block chevy engine than with the supercharged Northstar. When I was visiting D3, they felt and I agree that Supercharged Northstar won't be developed anymore by GM. D3 was starting to do some R&D on a screw type supercharger, but stopped because they felt that they won't be able to recoup the developement costs.

Bob

What a bummer. I mean, the Cobra only has 281ci, but with a twinscrew you can make 600RWHP easily.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #29
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Wow I still haven't seen one on the road. I did see a black STS-V at D3 waiting for a dyno tune.
I thought I saw one on the 405 and I banzai weaved to catch up but it was a standard STS with a V grill.

Bob
I was just looking for a stock STS-V dyno and couldn't find one (although I can't access Cadillac Forum from work). Do you know what they dyno stock?
Old 10-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #30

Quote:
I was just looking for a stock STS-V dyno and couldn't find one (although I can't access Cadillac Forum from work). Do you know what they dyno stock?
I was told that the STS-V stock show about 360-370hp on a dynojet. I have seen some videos on youtube that shows the same approximate numbers. I plan on getting the car tuned on a dyno in the future (~$600) to get a little more torque under the curve and quicker and firmer shifting. Sometimes the transmission won't shift quick enough in first to avoid hitting the rev limiter. I have noticed since the weather has been cooler lately the car feels much more powerful than when it was 100 outside. Later I want to try mixing a half a tank of 100 octane to see if there would be a difference.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z