Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #31

I sent Comp Cams some info on my car and they gave me a recommendation for Comp Cams part #35-775-8 with 236/248 duration @.050, 579 lift, and 114 LSA. Any thoughts on their recommendation? I'll be running a 2800 stall converter with 4.11 gears and 28" tires. The car should weigh ~3500 lbs with me in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Not sure. It'll be awhile. I should have all the mertal work on the car done next month. Just getting everything I need so I can put it together when it's done. I have to find a good painter. The guy I used for my 65 convertible is no longer painting cars.
Here are some pics I took last night.

And here's a couple of pics of the crash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #33
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
I sent Comp Cams some info on my car and they gave me a recommendation for Comp Cams part #35-775-8 with 236/248 duration @.050, 579 lift, and 114 LSA. Any thoughts on their recommendation? I'll be running a 2800 stall converter with 4.11 gears and 28" tires. The car should weigh ~3500 lbs with me in it.
Thats alot of duration for a roots engine. Thats more then what my n/a engine is, its 232/242 but with a 111*. I'd think for a non smog car with a roots you'd want a touch less duration. Then again i only have minimal knowledge of blower cams.

FWIW my Blower engine has a 218/218 114* and .562/.562. This is a centri blower/smog setup though so im not sure how it compares.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Thats alot of duration for a roots engine. Thats more then what my n/a engine is, its 232/242 but with a 111*. I'd think for a non smog car with a roots you'd want a touch less duration. Then again i only have minimal knowledge of blower cams.

FWIW my Blower engine has a 218/218 114* and .562/.562. This is a centri blower/smog setup though so im not sure how it compares.
The cam that's in it now has 222/232, .510/.534, and 114 LSA. Maybe I'll just stick to what I have.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
pain's fun, hit me again

Thats exactly what i was thinking when you mentioned a cam, i dont see an issue running the same duration with my lift, maybe toss a 1.7 rocker on your current cam and reap the best of both worlds.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Thats exactly what i was thinking when you mentioned a cam, i dont see an issue running the same duration with my lift, maybe toss a 1.7 rocker on your current cam and reap the best of both worlds.
So how does more duration affect a blown engine? From my understanding, I want to stay away from cams with a lot of overlap, so it doesn't bleed off boost. Wouldn't more duration just help?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #37
pain's fun, hit me again

More duration usually means more overlap, like i said i'm not up on my blower cam knowledge. But if im understanding it right, less duration and overlap makes for a more throttle responsive car, have you though about a custom grind? FTI only charges $50 over an off the shelf cam that will run circles around it generally.

Stopping the world!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #38

Quote:
More duration usually means more overlap, like i said i'm not up on my blower cam knowledge. But if im understanding it right, less duration and overlap makes for a more throttle responsive car, have you though about a custom grind? FTI only charges $50 over an off the shelf cam that will run circles around it generally.
I always thought overlap was measured by the LSA, the less separation, the more overlap. The recommended cam from Comp has 114* LSA, so not much overlap.

My understanding is that more duration means you will sacrifice some low end torque, but it will have more top-end power. Given the nature of the roots blower and its instant torque, I don't think this is a real issue. But again, I'm no expert.

I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 for a cam. I just don't know enough to determine what specs the custom grind should be.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
pain's fun, hit me again

Ed would take care of that (fti) he usually wont give you final specs until its payed for, nature of the beast. Or for $75 i can hook you up with my cam grinder and he can regrind your cam to most any specs and he'll be able to hook you up with better knowledge.

Stopping the world!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
pain's fun, hit me again

Also, are you running a stock block?

Stopping the world!