Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Wash your car after fires

Haven't checked it out, but I heard that the ashes in the air when mixed with moisture in the air will create a mixture that will etch right through your clear coat. Bottom line, wash your car thoroughly right after a fire and regularly until there's no more ash in the air . . . if you care about your paint job.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Haven't checked it out, but I heard that the ashes in the air when mixed with moisture in the air will create a mixture that will etch right through your clear coat. Bottom line, wash your car thoroughly right after a fire and regularly until there's no more ash in the air . . . if you care about your paint job.
Thanks for the tip. I'll get right on it.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 11-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll get right on it.
Ha!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #4

One of the first things that i did was cover it up and Wash it the day right after the fires were put out.

Best Trap Speed 89.67MPH on Nitto Street Tires
Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

My car is dirty. I need to wash and wax it next weekend. Maybe Saturday. What wax do you guys use?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The detailer says:

Meguiars Gold will last the longest, but it will likely look blotchy a day or two after you put it on. I use this on my cars because I'm lazy and don't like waxing often.

Meguiars Tech Wax goes on thick, but rubs off evenly and looks clean right afterwards.

Edit: But not the spray on tech wax, the paste.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Just do me a favor, avoid the body seams and emblems with the applicator. Then go back and apply it carefully around those spots. I hate wax around emblems and between seams.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #8

After the last two big fires we had here in SoCal (Irvine, Anaheim Hills) my under-hood paint got owned and has this black stuff seemingly etched into it (wax won't take it out and engine degreaser only seems to smear it around a little). I don't care as I plan on getting a nicer hood in the future, but it still sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Just do me a favor, avoid the body seams and emblems with the applicator. Then go back and apply it carefully around those spots. I hate wax around emblems and between seams.
I agree, but if you can't avoid it then one of the tools I use is sort of like a pen - it has a soft nylon brush on one end and a soft rubber "eraser" sort of thing that goes in between body gaps and in between emblems/moldings to get wax out of cracks. I think Autozone or Pep Boys have them.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX View Post
After the last two big fires we had here in SoCal (Irvine, Anaheim Hills) my under-hood paint got owned and has this black stuff seemingly etched into it (wax won't take it out and engine degreaser only seems to smear it around a little). . .
You are correct. It is actually etched. The ashes plus moisture forms a corrosive mixture.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 AM   #10

Default Wash your car after fires

Usually once a week.

Hadn;t washed it for 3 and a half weeks until yesterday and it was killing me driving a dirty car lol.

Next day off I get Im gonna do the full wash claybar polish deal just coz I can.