Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Getting ready for the Supercharger/ Install

Today I started to remove my rubber hose fuel line, as I will have thrice the pressure under boost and I don't trust a rubber hose to handle high pressure fuel. I started by grinding the barb off of the BG dual feed fuel line, I slipped a brass fitting over the end and flared the pipe. There was just barely enough room to do this. The new screw in type fuel filter may not fit where I intended it to go. It looks like the alternator (which I am moving to the passenger side to make room for the Procharger) might get into the way.

Then I removed the alternator and the power steering pump and the crank pulleys. Then I installed the supercharger pulley, it sits very close to the front cross member, it's too tight to fit the v-belt in there so I will have to install a shorter trans mount to tilt the motor back.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Ah, the joys of doing something different. If you get the chance, some pics would help make your special hell live.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Did my pics not show up here?

Well I tried mounting the alternator today only to realize that the passenger side mount that I bought will not work with my water pump. I am going to call ATI tomorrow to see if I can do this with a short water pump setup, otherwise I will have to buy a long water pump.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette
Did my pics not show up here?
You're cool, I was connected to a vpn that blocked the source.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

OK... I bent and flared my own 3/8" hardline, if that's too small the next step is garden hose. I had to move the filter down because after I moved the alternator to the passenger side I had no room for it.

So you can also see the alternator on the passenger side in these pics along with my new long water pump. You can also see (red arrow) the fitting I installed for a boost reference port on my fuel pump. (This is so that fuel will increase 1 psi for every pound of boost).

I discovered that I needed offset pulleys from ATI for the water pump and the alternator to line up with the 12 rib pulley. They are in the mail.

Lots of o-rings and silicone, I hope it seals. We'll find out when my pulleys get here.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Test fit today, I'm going to have to move the hood prop to the passenger side and cut away some of the hood support, and possibly some of the hood. I have a jet ski hood prop on order. I also lengthened the alternator wires and got some of the hoses back on, including the boost reference port. And I removed all of my power steering components, except for the control valve which I will probably change to a manual link when I get the chance.

I'm thinking that I might clock the supercharger face down more, so that the outlet is blowing on the valve cover. If it clears the valve cover and I can fit a flex joint in there, I may get away without having to cut my hood. Knock on wood. I will also be cutting the lower corner of the SC bracket off, as it sits too close to the control arm for my liking.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I installed the alternator and water pump pulleys today, found the right length belt and fired up the motor. No fuel leaks, no coolant leaks. I also polished the alterntor, check out the difference. I noticed that the alternator doesn't charge at idle anymore, probably because the ATI pulley underdrives it. Oh well... I also blew air into the boost reference hose, the fuel pressure increased from 6psi to 8 psi. Good thing I bought the SC, my lungs only put out a wimpy 2 psi.

I also chased and found an electrical demon, but that's another story.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette
. . . I also blew air into the boost reference hose, the fuel pressure increased from 6psi to 8 psi.
Holy crap. I sometimes forget how little pressure is needed for carburation.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Clocked the supercharger forward today, so that the outlet shoots over the valve cover but doesn't hit the hood. Then I removed my hood prop and cut some of the support away, believe it or not I am able to close my hood. The SC pulley rattles on the hood when the engine is running, so tomorrow I'm going to shave some of the thickness of the hood down. If that doesn't work, solid motor mounts?

Check out my sweet hood prop.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Works better than a broom stick. $20 shipped, for a waverunner. I epoxied a metal angle under the fiberglass lip that the prop bolts to. Prob didn't need it, but it couldn't hurt.

No more progress for now, waiting on parts in the mail.