Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
Internet Tough Guy

Again, updated ring model.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Again, updated ring model.
I stand to be corrected, but I believe you are mistaken.

The Ring package specs were announced in March 2010 and were not publicly tested until June 2011, when it ran the 7:14.

The tests quoted above, where it ran a 7:38 on street tires on the longer course, the same as the ZR1 and F458 on PS2s with the same driver were from September 2010 . . . with a press car.

The time from the TG track, where it had the fastest wet lap ever (about the same as a ZO6 in the dry AIR BTW) was in January, before the Ring package was even announced.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

That motor sounds good. 650hp for a n/a 4.9L motor from the factory on only 10:1cr is pretty stout.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 AM   #14
Internet Tough Guy

The motor only made 550 hp @8700 rpm and 354 ft lbm. Pretty much identical to a Gallardo for double the price. Ben, in the local reviews it struggled against a GTR and a Zo6. I'm not impressed. It would have been fine if it cost $120k not $375k. Most manufacturers will that do R&d at the ring release ring times before the model is available.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
The motor only made 550 hp @8700 rpm and 354 ft lbm. Pretty much identical to a Gallardo for double the price. Ben, in the local reviews it struggled against a GTR and a Zo6. I'm not impressed. It would have been fine if it cost $120k not $375k. Most manufacturers will that do R&d at the ring release ring times before the model is available.
THE QUOTED TIMES WERE FROM EURO MAGAZINES DOING HEAD TO HEAD COMPAROS NOT THE MANUFACTURER. IT WAS A PRESS CAR.

Nothing that I can see indicates that car was the Ring model, all lists show standard edition (and other cars as their specific models, e.g., Scuderia, Italia, etc.). It was in September 2010, the Manufacturer Ring model numbers are from 2011.

AFIK, they easily sold all units. So the price is completely irrelevant to people in that market. WTF do they care. They're not middle class.

It was an R&D test bed and a Halo car. Lexus got what they wanted out of the car. The fact there are other cars as fast or faster for the same or less money doesn't mean much of anything where it matters. The Market > Forums.

I understand you're not impressed. Ok.

If you're looking for an impressive bit of engineering at an affordable middle class price (sort of) that's fast with basically any driver, one answer stands out by a mile, the GT-R.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
7:14 was the LFA Ring model too not the original car. The original car was much slower. Again too little too late. The car was so anticipated and hyped as a world beater and didn't do shit.
Youre such a hater. We should sneak over to your place, have Guy tow away your Corvette, and trade it in for a BRZ. I think your head would explode.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
THE QUOTED TIMES WERE FROM EURO MAGAZINES DOING HEAD TO HEAD COMPAROS NOT THE MANUFACTURER. IT WAS A PRESS CAR.

Nothing that I can see indicates that car was the Ring model, all lists show standard edition (and other cars as their specific models, e.g., Scuderia, Italia, etc.). It was in September 2010, the Manufacturer Ring model numbers are from 2011.

AFIK, they easily sold all units. So the price is completely irrelevant to people in that market. WTF do they care. They're not middle class.

It was an R&D test bed and a Halo car. Lexus got what they wanted out of the car. The fact there are other cars as fast or faster for the same or less money doesn't mean much of anything where it matters. The Market > Forums.

I understand you're not impressed. Ok.

If you're looking for an impressive bit of engineering at an affordable middle class price (sort of) that's fast with basically any driver, one answer stands out by a mile, the GT-R.
Not everything is speed. Or Jay Leno's garage would just be full of Ferraris.

Id take a 97 Viper over a C6, even though the C6 is probably a better track car. Speed + Sound + Sex Appeal = Desirable Sports Car
Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Not everything is speed. Or Jay Leno's garage would just be full of Ferraris.

Id take a 97 Viper over a C6, even though the C6 is probably a better track car. Speed + Sound + Sex Appeal = Desirable Sports Car
Carlos is basically an engineer. Those are highly deprecated parameters to him.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #19
Internet Tough Guy

Enkie,
Yup I'm a hater. Whats new. Yup, you would pick a Viper over a C6. I literally shopped for both when I bought my Corvette. I went with the C6 because it was just as fast and operating cost were much less. I'm sure you would take the viper because for some guys looking cool is enough. Not me. I like to compete.
CNJ
Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #20
I, Vettezuki

If it's merely track speed : cost calculation, wouldn't something like a Caterham Seven 480 be an even better choice?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)