Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Yamaha 5.0L V8

This thing would be awesome. Hope Volvo goes for it. The Yamaha 4.8L V10 engine in the LFA is my favorite sounding NA motor presently on the market.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-yam...ngine-revving/

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
Internet Tough Guy

The motor only sounds good because Yamaha designed the exhaust. I would rather have a CFE block V8 for sound.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

If you're talking about the LFA, Yamaha was involved with essentially all aspects of engine design, not just exhaust AFIK. This V8 is a Yamaha engine full whack. Yamaha obviously makes some killer bike engines (not to mention generators, boat engines), but has been involved in car engines for a long time, including the Supra, old SHO, etc.

Sound is aesthetic and personal preference. The LFA is probably my favorite sounding engine on the market in a super car overall, sounds like a 90s era F1. As for V8s generally available, and just referring to sound, it'd be an old school BBC probably. I DON'T especially care for the sound of this V8, but it's obviously a pretty gnarly and tightly packaged engine.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 AM   #4
Internet Tough Guy

I will take a look at it. The Yamaha that I have heard associated with the LFA isn't the bike or engine builder, it's Yamaha the instrument manufacturer. I thought they made the exhaust and provided input to some cabins details for acoustic value only. The motor sounds great. I just don't like it because it was obsolete before it was released. Shit has no balls.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
I will take a look at it. The Yamaha that I have heard associated with the LFA isn't the bike or engine builder, it's Yamaha the instrument manufacturer. I thought they made the exhaust and provided input to some cabins details for acoustic value only. The motor sounds great. I just don't like it because it was obsolete before it was released. Shit has no balls.
The instrument side was involved with the acoustics of the exhaust system, that's true. But the motorsport side was involved with the block and heads AFIK.

It does what it was designed to do for an engine of it's type in a car in that category, making 550 BHP from 4.8L NA more or less instantly because of how free spinning it is, dead reliable and surpassing all emissions standards in the world by a mile. I'm not sure what you mean by obsolete for its time.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

Yamaha makes some bad ass two stroke outboard v8's that make 400hp. Two on the back of a small boat really rips.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #7
Internet Tough Guy

I mean that the car just didn't perform. The only features that suck out from the LFA release was the price and the sound. As far as having 500 hp instantly.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

7:14 at the Ring is not exactly poor performance for a luxury trimmed car anyone could pleasantly drive as a DD. The market didn't seem to mind its relatively steep price either. There are certainly faster cars for less money in different areas if that's all you means.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Internet Tough Guy

7:14 was the LFA Ring model too not the original car. The original car was much slower. Again too little too late. The car was so anticipated and hyped as a world beater and didn't do shit.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
7:14 was the LFA Ring model too not the original car. The original car was much slower. Again too little too late. The car was so anticipated and hyped as a world beater and didn't do shit.
Quote:
. . .The LFA was wearing temporary Bridgestone S001 street tires since the LFA spec tires are still under development. Although the LFA lap time is slower than the chief engineer's "better than 7:20" claim, Sport Auto cited LFA ran exactly the same lap time with the same driver as other major competitors like the Ferrari 458 Italia, the Corvette ZR1 with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (PS2) tires and 2 seconds faster than the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, 2 seconds faster than the Porsche 911 (997.2) GT3, 4 seconds faster than the Lamborghini Murciélago LP-670 SV, 10 seconds faster than the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 and 9 seconds faster than the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano. All tests were conducted by the same driver, Horst von Saurma.

Auto Bild Germany[85] in the September edition of 2010 in part 1 of the comparison conducted a head-to-head Nurburgring Supercomparo (longer 20.8 km version of the track) versus Nissan GT-R, Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera and Wiesmann GT MF5. Lexus LFA turned in the fastest Nurburgring lap time (7:38,85), which was faster by nearly 2 seconds than the Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera (7:40,76) and almost 5 seconds faster than the GT-R (7:43,65), 6 seconds faster than the SLS AMG and almost 12 seconds faster than the Wiesmann. The Nurburgring 20.8 km test driver Sascha Bert stated "LFA was built for the Nurburgring race track."
So it put in the same time as a ZR1 and F458 on street tires and was faster in head to head comparos than, well, a bunch of other expensive fast cars. What a sack of shit.

Quote:
The LFA appeared on Top Gear in January 2010, where its power lap of 1.22.8[86] was the quickest wet test lap ever recorded on the Top Gear test track located at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey, United Kingdom; it was 3 seconds faster than the nearest wet lap which was the four-wheel-drive Lamborghini Gallardo.[86]
Can you believe the hype? What's a "world beater" anyway?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)