Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #1

Default Removing carbon from Al heads

So I had to pull the heads off the harley to replace valve stem seals, and found about .020-.030" of carbon and coke build up in my combustion chambers and piston tops. Getting it off the flat top of a piston was easy enough, but what would be a good way to remove it from the c. chambers and exhaust ports? I read online about wire brushes (seams kind of agressive) and even oven cleaner (used to use lye solutions to etch aluminum propeller parts prior to dye pen inspection -don't really want to do that either). I know most of you car guys are running aluminum heads these days, so any firsthand experience would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Sea Foam.

No wire brushes, don't even have to take the heads off. You bring it through the carbs (or into the intake through vaccuum). You let it sit a while. Fire it up and watch the clouds of nasty smelling smoke that come out your tail pipe. Just did it on an old truck and practically smoked out my neighborhood.

Follow the instructions and change your oil after using. You can also run it in your crank case oil before changing oil to dislodge sludge, etc. If you've had a big carbon buildup you will notice the difference.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #3

Too cool. I'll have to look around see if I can find some. Thanks Bud
Old 02-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Neanderthal

I used to just soak the parts in a tub of water for a couple days and the carbon would just turn to mush and wipe off. But that's me.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #5

Water huh? I'll try that. Hard to believe that stuff would soften just from lookin at it. At first glance it looks harder than a whore's heart. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhy View Post
Water huh? I'll try that. Hard to believe that stuff would soften just from lookin at it. At first glance it looks harder than a whore's heart. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes.
After it has soaked the coke with break off in clunks,
2016 Nissan Altma