Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Source for engine building tool sets

I've transferred my MX-5 to LS1Z28 who does a lot of work for me. He has everything apart and discovered the crank bearing on no. 1 disintegrated, like completely and it mangled the crank. So we're going to need at least a new crank, bearings, rod and head rework.

Unfortunately, he's having a hard time locating the engine building tool kit for the engine in 2006 MX-5. Apparently it's necessarry for aligning the crank with the cams or something like that.

Any good sources?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
pain's fun, hit me again

Are you sure that the crank is trashed and doesn't need to be cut?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Are you sure that the crank is trashed and doesn't need to be cut?
That's what he said and I trust his judgement. The bearing was 100% gone and apparently wore down the journal. He gave me measurements I don't recall, but said it was beyond machining.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #4
pain's fun, hit me again

Cranks are welded and cut all the time and the cost is very minimal. Usually around $100
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Shop recommendation?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

Any auto balancer can likely do it. I use Rod Philips in Baldwin Park. He cut the crank in the last 3 of my engines and in Rons exploder.

Stopping the world!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Any auto balancer can likely do it. I use Rod Philips in Baldwin Park. He cut the crank in the last 3 of my engines and in Rons exploder.
Roger. LS1Z28 says he doesn't like to do it because of a bad experience (crank broke after a couple thousand miles) but it's a good reference.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

PS the tools he needs are cam and crank lock down tools.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
PS the tools he needs are cam and crank lock down tools.
Found it.

Amazon.com: Massive Absolute Precision Cam Timing...Amazon.com: Massive Absolute Precision Cam Timing...
Also, apparently the lower end of the engine is somewhere between nearly the same and aboslutely the same as Focus of the same generation, which if true, means a 2.0 Focus short block can cover all my bottom end issues.

Best place to look for said short blocks?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Roger. LS1Z28 says he doesn't like to do it because of a bad experience (crank broke after a couple thousand miles) but it's a good reference.
Cranks in heavy machinery are always welded before they are replaced, few hundred for labor instead of a few thousand for replacement. EVERY crank that is balanced is welded, when done properly, it is not a problem.

As far as the shortblocks, well, that 2.0 focus engine is a complete piece of shit and many engine shops have them ready to go because of the high turn around. Ebay is your cheapest bet for that, make sure you have a core, they are light enough they can be shipped without freight.

Stopping the world!