Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default PV protection (check ball) has to be drilled out for boost?

Trying to figure out what my PV check ball is doing under boost, almost ready to forget about it and tune it as it. BG Tech sucks, those red necks rarely give me any useful advice. 90% of their techs are morons.

They don't want to answer your question, they think they know what your problem is before you even tell them what's up. This guy told me that my compression under boost is 15.29:1 and that I need to run 114 race gas or I'll pop another piston.

I popped a piston because BG doesn't know how to setup a race carb to get the AFR under 15:1 at WOT! That's why I popped a piston.

He told me that race gas would correct my rich problem at cruise and magically correct any lean problems at WOT.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
. . . He told me that race gas would correct my rich problem at cruise and magically correct any lean problems at WOT.
Wow. Even I know more than that. Hell, Sean might know more than that. That's scary.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

He is correct about the compression. Have you called The Carb Shop in Ontario? I'm not sure what effect boost has on a power valve.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
He is correct about the compression. Have you called The Carb Shop in Ontario? I'm not sure what effect boost has on a power valve.
I don't understand. Compression Ratio is a function of mechanical design and does not change. Cylinder pressures certainly raise under boost and I suppose that what you're referring to is a cyldiner pressure equivalency of a higher compression for comparison purposes?

Correct me if I'm wrong enkei, but your motor is 9:1 static and you're only running 5-6 pounds at the moment. I can't imagine that's anywhere near equivalent to 15.x:1.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
. . .

Correct me if I'm wrong enkei, but your motor is 9:1 static and you're only running 5-6 pounds at the moment. I can't imagine that's anywhere near equivalent to 15.x:1.
This is not an A/F item, so a little OT, but found a little formula.

Effective compression Ratio (ECR) = [(Boost / 14.7) +1] x CR

Ergo:
ECR = ((6 / 14.7) + 1) x CR

ECR = 12.67 (at sea level)

That does imply you're in quite a gray area with pump gas. Intercooling and boost timing retard change it quite a bit of course, but in simple terms it seems to me 6psi is about as much as you're going to get without some combination of race gas, intercooling, boost timing retard.

As for Race Gas changing fixing your A/F problem, unless I don't understand anything at all, that's funny.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I don't understand. Compression Ratio is a function of mechanical design and does not change. Cylinder pressures certainly raise under boost and I suppose that what you're referring to is a cyldiner pressure equivalency of a higher compression for comparison purposes?

10lbs since I fixed the HG & intake gasket after DC dyno day (5 lbs then). This is why I blew a piston and this is why my car is way faster now than it was then.

Doesn't matter. Procharger says that I can run 10lbs at 34 degrees of timing on 91 octane with Al heads. I'm convinced the cylinder destruction was due to a 15:1 AFR and that with a 12:1 AFR and only 28 degrees of timing I'll be fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
PV works fine with a blow through, concerned about the PV check ball.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
Trying to figure out what my PV check ball is doing under boost, almost ready to forget about it and tune it as it. BG Tech sucks, those red necks rarely give me any useful advice. 90% of their techs are morons.

They don't want to answer your question, they think they know what your problem is before you even tell them what's up. This guy told me that my compression under boost is 15.29:1 and that I need to run 114 race gas or I'll pop another piston.

I popped a piston because BG doesn't know how to setup a race carb to get the AFR under 15:1 at WOT! That's why I popped a piston.

He told me that race gas would correct my rich problem at cruise and magically correct any lean problems at WOT.

They really told you that??? It thought it was bad when I talked to MSD's techs. That beats them by miles.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 07-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
PV works fine with a blow through, concerned about the PV check ball.
How much pressure does it take to open the check ball? I'm assuming it would be more than 10psi since its purpose is to protect the PV in the case of a backfire in the intake.

I still think you are crazy to think you can run 28 degrees of timing with 10psi on 91. I'm only running 17 from 4800-6000 and I still occasionally get detonation on hot days when I've been running the air. Think about it, 15:1 compression! You need to pick up a MSD BTM so you can pull out timing with boost. That way you will be able to run more timing in the lower and mid rpm range to help with your torque output but still keep it safe as boost climbs.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
. . . Procharger says that I can run 10lbs at 34 degrees of timing on 91 octane with Al heads. . .
Let us know how that works out. Are they warrantying your engine for that application?

I like the dramatically under the asterisk part.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)