Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default 2JZ vs. RB26

Ok, lots of noise on this question, I'd like to get a little more concise.

If doing an engine swap:
- which is the more cost effective platform for building reliable power
- which is the better platform, money no object, for building massive power

Pros and cons? Can include NA and Turbo variants.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Internet Tough Guy

2JZ all the way! The stock shortblock it good for ~800rwhp. Don't expe\t to get much more than 5K miles out of a big power build.

26RB has weak rods (relatively speaking) the short block is only good for about 500whp with a good tune. Any slight detonation and you're F'd in the A.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
2JZ all the way! The stock shortblock it good for ~800rwhp. Don't expe\t to get much more than 5K miles out of a big power build.

26RB has weak rods (relatively speaking) the short block is only good for about 500whp with a good tune. Any slight detonation and you're F'd in the A.
I don't want to be F'd in the A. One of the other guys here mentioned that the NA 2JZ (not 2JZGTE) is a better starting point because the heads flow better. Then put on your own single turbo. If I did something like this, I want a quick spool and linear power curve, not a laggy explosion of power. Is two smaller turbos in banks of 3 better than a moderate turbo across all six cyliners. Please to explain. I'm guessing it's all about rotational inertia and that acutally the one moderate turbo is across six is even better than two smaller turbos across 3.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Internet Tough Guy

No way. Stick with the tried and true turbo motor. You can play the quick spool/big power game when you upgrade the turbos. These cars can handle so much boost that I think the material strength dominates the different variables.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

Also the GETRAG transmission in the turbo cars are much much stronger than the N/A cars. The GTR drive trian has a great trans too. I've heard of 8K RPM AWD launches. THe Skylines fame came due to their handling not the power they could make.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Thanks man. I'd like to use this motor for a future project car and/or at some point I'll have to decide if I want to continue development with the Vette or go down a completely different road. I'm so soured on GM I don't even want to spend money on aftermarket stuff, but I'll probably mellow out an that at least. We'll see.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
Super Moderator

How is the 2JZ different from the NA Supra motor? I know the TT motor makes about 100 more hp and comes with a 6 speed, but is the long block basically the same? Short block really just as stout?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Internet Tough Guy

For one the compression ratio is different whch means that either the head of the pistons have changed. Second, I haven't heard of the NA motor withstanding the abuse that the turbo motor can. Third the NA motor doesn't come with the same getrag tranny, which is a amazing piece.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #9

The 2jz-ge (NA) is a phenomenal power plant on a budget. It has been proven a million and one times. Of course the piston tops, as previously stated, are different in order to increase compression, but essentially the same in every other way including strength. Here are the to know's about going NA-T.

The basic differences between the GE and GTE (not comparing either VVTI editions):
-Most obvious difference to anyone familiar with engines is the TURBOS. The GE has none, thats what the 'T' in GTE means.

-Another is the style of intake manifold, the GE has a manifold developed for more torque development in the lower-part of the rpm band vs the GTE's short runner type. The GE doesn't have more torque; its just that it develops more than it would if it had a GTE-style intake manifold.

-Compression, the GE runs a 10:1 compression ratio and the GTE runs a 8.5:1 compression ratio. The differences are obtained through a thicker headgasket (.2mm for GE vs 1.6mm for GTE) and lower compression pistons on the GTE. The higher compression allows the GE motor to make the most of its power since it lacks turbos to begin with.

-Injectors and Airflow sensors, the GE runs 330cc top-feed high impedance Denso-style injectors and uses a Karman Vortex air-metering sensor to read how much air volume is being injested. The GTE runs 540cc side-feed low impedance injectors (though uses a resistor pak to raise the impedance for the ECU's sake)... measured through a hotwire MAF sensor. The GE's airflow restriction is around 450hp from the stock AFM and the GTE is around 650-700hp depending on several factors.

-The exhaust manifold and intake manifolds port spacing and studs are completely different and will not work with one another unless some machining is involved with the manifolds themselves. There are people who have successfully grafted the upper part of the GTE intake manifold onto the lower part of the GE manifold.

-The GE motor runs a distributor-based ignition system with spark plug wires and a single coil. The GTE runs coil-on-plug ignition with individual coils for every plug. The distributor gets in the way sometimes of the turbo intake pipe

These are just motor differences, there are many little others such as oil squirters, oil feed/return lines, transmissions, etc.

Now onto Similarities:
Both the GE and GTE bottom ends are VERY strong. The only difference being the pistons themselves. Thats right, the rods and crankshaft are the SAME parts!!! The 2jz motor itself was DESIGNED to be turbocharged from the beginning and is built VERY strongly from the factory. No one yet knows the limits of a GE setup, though there are several 1000whp setups on the GTE with the stock bottom-end. Dave H uses a GE motor and ran a 9sec 1/4 mile time with the stock GE block ( a spare 220k mile motor to be specific!)
All in all, it is very doubtful that you will need to build your motor when designing a NA-T setup unless you're gunning for ridiculous amounts of power. The stock cams are roughly the SAME.

As far as the 6 speed, look up R-154. It came factory in all turbo supras from 87-92. It's a bullet proof 5 speed tranny which many have chosen for drag strip success.

Okay I'm pooped
Old 07-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
The 2jz-ge (NA) is a phenomenal power plant on a budget. It has been proven a million and one times. Of course the piston tops, as previously stated, are different in order to increase compression, but essentially the same in every other way including strength. Here are the to know's about going NA-T.

The basic differences between the GE and GTE (not comparing either VVTI editions):
-Most obvious difference to anyone familiar with engines is the TURBOS. The GE has none, thats what the 'T' in GTE means.

-Another is the style of intake manifold, the GE has a manifold developed for more torque development in the lower-part of the rpm band vs the GTE's short runner type. The GE doesn't have more torque; its just that it develops more than it would if it had a GTE-style intake manifold.

-Compression, the GE runs a 10:1 compression ratio and the GTE runs a 8.5:1 compression ratio. The differences are obtained through a thicker headgasket (.2mm for GE vs 1.6mm for GTE) and lower compression pistons on the GTE. The higher compression allows the GE motor to make the most of its power since it lacks turbos to begin with.

-Injectors and Airflow sensors, the GE runs 330cc top-feed high impedance Denso-style injectors and uses a Karman Vortex air-metering sensor to read how much air volume is being injested. The GTE runs 540cc side-feed low impedance injectors (though uses a resistor pak to raise the impedance for the ECU's sake)... measured through a hotwire MAF sensor. The GE's airflow restriction is around 450hp from the stock AFM and the GTE is around 650-700hp depending on several factors.

-The exhaust manifold and intake manifolds port spacing and studs are completely different and will not work with one another unless some machining is involved with the manifolds themselves. There are people who have successfully grafted the upper part of the GTE intake manifold onto the lower part of the GE manifold.

-The GE motor runs a distributor-based ignition system with spark plug wires and a single coil. The GTE runs coil-on-plug ignition with individual coils for every plug. The distributor gets in the way sometimes of the turbo intake pipe

These are just motor differences, there are many little others such as oil squirters, oil feed/return lines, transmissions, etc.

Now onto Similarities:
Both the GE and GTE bottom ends are VERY strong. The only difference being the pistons themselves. Thats right, the rods and crankshaft are the SAME parts!!! The 2jz motor itself was DESIGNED to be turbocharged from the beginning and is built VERY strongly from the factory. No one yet knows the limits of a GE setup, though there are several 1000whp setups on the GTE with the stock bottom-end. Dave H uses a GE motor and ran a 9sec 1/4 mile time with the stock GE block ( a spare 220k mile motor to be specific!)
All in all, it is very doubtful that you will need to build your motor when designing a NA-T setup unless you're gunning for ridiculous amounts of power. The stock cams are roughly the SAME.

As far as the 6 speed, look up R-154. It came factory in all turbo supras from 87-92. It's a bullet proof 5 speed tranny which many have chosen for drag strip success.

Okay I'm pooped
Could you be a little more specific. That is a lot of info.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten