Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Internet Tough Guy

Post from my blackberry. This means I'm drunk and bored at a shitty bar in New London.

I'm no drag racer, but I would agree that your car could use more cam. I base this on a few things:

1) .33 lift and 24x duration doesn't seen to be that aggressive especially when its mated to a 3600 stall converter. This where I would just pay someone to dot it for me (being honest). But my gut fell is that there is more power in those heads and peak torque should be somewhat higher than the lock-up rpm.

2) Valve springs. I remember talking to you at cal speedway about valve springs. You were concerned that you didn't get sufficient seating force. Have you replaced them? This would help the top end of you had valve float.

3) how about some 4.10s or 4.56s? This is straight out of my ass, but my gut tells me that a 3600 is relatively aggressive for 3.73s.

Also what tire are you running?
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Post from my blackberry. This means I'm drunk and bored at a shitty bar in New London.

I'm no drag racer, but I would agree that your car could use more cam. I base this on a few things:

1) .33 lift and 24x duration doesn't seen to be that aggressive especially when its mated to a 3600 stall converter. This where I would just pay someone to dot it for me (being honest). But my gut fell is that there is more power in those heads and peak torque should be somewhat higher than the lock-up rpm.

2) Valve springs. I remember talking to you at cal speedway about valve springs. You were concerned that you didn't get sufficient seating force. Have you replaced them? This would help the top end of you had valve float.

3) how about some 4.10s or 4.56s? This is straight out of my ass, but my gut tells me that a 3600 is relatively aggressive for 3.73s.

Also what tire are you running?
The .366 lift is at the lobe. With the 1.6 rocker the lift at the valve is .586. A 1.7 rocker would make it .623 at the valve. I've had the 1.6 Crower roller rockers since 1987 and they probably have around 250,000 miles on them if not more. I don't want to replace them just yet. They have worked well for me thus far.

I know you would just pay someone to pick and install a cam for you but I won't spend $1500 or so to have someone else to do something I'm capable of doing. Especially when I can do it for about $300. I know I can make more power with a bigger cam. I just wanted to get everyone thinking and talking. The site has been slow lately with more arguing than us discussing making power and such.

I just installed the matching valve springs that go with the cam I have. They have enough spring pressure for me to go to the size I'm thinking of installing. I was running the single springs that came on the heads originally and they use to provide enough pressure for the engine to pull to 6500 but after 4 years they would only pull to 6000. I've hit the rev limiter at 7000 with the new springs without any valve float.

A 4.10 gear would be great. The only problem is the price. For me to switch to a 4.10 I'll end up spending around $2000. The reason is right now I'm running stock everything in the rearend. The only thing that's not stock is the C-clip eliminators. If I was to change the gearing I'll also go with the spool, new axles, etc.

I'm running a 28x10.5x15 slick. With the 3.73 I should be able to top out at about 140 by 6500rpm which is what I run the current cam to.