Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
That's the one Chuck. Thanks. Just right there at MSRP.

The base 5.0 is in the same price range. Clearly more power, vaguely comparable MPG, not so sure about handling, especially since some of that is subjective. But that's all irrelevant anyway. It's a matter of aesthetic preferences.
Not really the same price range. An FR-S is just under 25k, and the base 5.0 is just under 30k.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Match for match to the m3. I'd say handling is great, but if its all about the looks then she's gotta pick what she likes best.
Handling in the 5.0 is great, especially considering the platform. That's measured track time, an objective fact, but I haven't heard a person say it "handles" as well as an M3, IOW chassis balance, poise, etc. It gets the job done, but is not as "elegant" in how it goes about it.

Quote:
Which is why when pressed, Randy admits that he believes he set the fastest lap in the M3. So do I. "I think the BMW is faster because of its superior shock control at high speed," he says. "It has very little nose dive, very little brake dive, which gives me more confidence as a driver. It's more refined, a more conservative car than the Mustang is and far better controlled."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1xiDaKWx5
That's a Pro driver comparing to the GT Premium Package, not a base.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Not really the same price range. An FR-S is just under 25k, and the base 5.0 is just under 30k.
According to True Car, the FR-S is going for MSRP and the Mustang going for substantially less with current icentives. So you're right comparing retail, but in the market, they're basically identical right now.

FR-S Auto: Market Average $26,522
Mustang 5.0 Base: Market Average $26,221 (with $3,500 incentive expiring in July)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
According to True Car, the FR-S is going for MSRP and the Mustang going for substantially less with current icentives. So you're right comparing retail, but in the market, they're basically identical right now.

FR-S Auto: Market Average $26,522
Mustang 5.0 Base: Market Average $26,221 (with $3,500 incentive expiring in July)
If that's the case, I'd buy the 5.0.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
I, Vettezuki

It's the case until July 2. For that matter the V6 is pretty awesome for even less. A Mustang simply isn't novel and doesn't come with any "wow" factor. It's *just* a really well thought out value oriented car that nails its market.

Doesn't your aunt have one? If so, how does she like it?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #16

Funny you mention true car, I work there. If you want to use this link instead it will send you in as a friend or family if you decide to use the service. http://driveyourdream.zag.com/main.h...id=EMPPCZARNOT if you have any questions,let me know.

Nissan 350Z (SOLD): Great for everyday driving and occasional corner carving

Mods: MREV2, HFC, CAI, Plenum Spacer, Osiris Tune, GR+Pro Coil Overs, SPC alignment
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Handling in the 5.0 is great, especially considering the platform. That's measured track time, an objective fact, but I haven't heard a person say it "handles" as well as an M3, IOW chassis balance, poise, etc. It gets the job done, but is not as "elegant" in how it goes about it.

That's a Pro driver comparing to the GT Premium Package, not a base.
http://www.fastestlaps.com/laptimes/4fc4febf2d80f.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S @ Willow Springs - Streets of Willow View Post
Lap time ID: 4fc4febf2d80f
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S (145 kw)
Track: Willow Springs - Streets of Willow
Lap time: 1:31.150
Conditions: Normal
Driven by: Randy Pobst
Submitter IP: 108.92.***.***
Date & time of submission: 05/06/12, 12:08:37
In relation to other laptimes:
Porsche 911 Turbo 1:30.69
Ford Mustang V6 1:30.90
Scion FR-S 1:31.15
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X SE 1:31.40
VW Golf GTI Mk. VI 1:31.47
Hmmmm
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
What's your point? You compared "handling" which involves a substantial amount of difficult to capture/subjective criteria, to an M3. I reported what a race driver had to say about the handling of an M3 vs. GT Premium Pack.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
pain's fun, hit me again

My point wasnt comparing the M3 to the mustang, it was comparing the FR-S to the mustang. I mentioned the M3 as an example of its handling, nothing more. FTR I have driven the M3 and it rides nicer then the mustang but it feels much like it when being pushed. I suppose anything rides great compared to my bmx bike i'm currently driving.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
My point wasnt comparing the M3 to the mustang,

Quote:
Match for match to the m3. I'd say handling is great,

Quote:
it was comparing the FR-S to the mustang. I mentioned the M3 as an example of its handling, nothing more.
Ok. But according to one pro driver at least, isn't really comparable. Track times and "handling" are not the same thing.

It's absolutely defensible to say at this time you can get a base 5.0 for the same price as an FR-S and it will manhandle the FR-S in every objective performance criteria. Whether it handles better or not, I don't know. My hypothesis is if I could drive both on a track I would expect the FR-S to be more "controlled and controllable." Doesn't mean anything other than my personal expectation.

I'd be curious what Probst has to say about the FR-S.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)