Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Boost Junkie

Default Coilovers

Got my coilovers on Friday and after 7 hours of labor my car is lowered and stiff on the ride A writeup will be coming for it. I gave it about a 1.5 inch to 2inch drop, it will need to be lowered just a tad more front and back to be acceptable. pictures will be coming!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The back will probably be coming down another 1.5 and the front probably about .5 inches to even everything out but keep the raked stance.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!

Last edited by BlacknBoostn : 11-25-2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: PIX!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Got my coilovers on Friday and after 7 hours of labor my car is lowered and stiff on the ride A writeup will be coming for it. I gave it about a 1.5 inch to 2inch drop, it will need to be lowered just a tad more front and back to be acceptable. pictures will be coming!
Congrats Tyler - now where are my pics
Old 11-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Super Moderator

How's the understeer? Any better? Worse?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Congrats Tyler - now where are my pics
Pictures will be coming on tuesday when I have enough daylight to take them!!! I only have limited pictures for the walkthrough so I'll write it up the best I can from memory. I'm pretty familiar so it should be no big deal...

Enkeivette, the understeer is fantastic, virtually none currently. it's gripping the road and holding. the only thing thats holding it back is my tires, need to upgrade to wider tires all around.

most noticeable difference in improved feel is responsiveness. The car feels incredibly agile now, moreso than before. Sway bars will be added eventually in addition to upper and lower f/r strut bars.

Another HUGE improvement is traction and shifting for launch. GOODBYE wheel hop HELLO tirespin! Spun tires through first and most of second at full throttle with no wheel hop. Shifting is crisper and more responsive. less of a lurch during the shift. Feels fantastic. Even my troublesome 3rd gear feels better now. Only on upshift haha.

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Pictures will be coming on tuesday when I have enough daylight to take them!!! I only have limited pictures for the walkthrough so I'll write it up the best I can from memory. I'm pretty familiar so it should be no big deal...

Enkeivette, the understeer is fantastic, virtually none currently. it's gripping the road and holding. the only thing thats holding it back is my tires, need to upgrade to wider tires all around.

most noticeable difference in improved feel is responsiveness. The car feels incredibly agile now, moreso than before. Sway bars will be added eventually in addition to upper and lower f/r strut bars.

Another HUGE improvement is traction and shifting for launch. GOODBYE wheel hop HELLO tirespin! Spun tires through first and most of second at full throttle with no wheel hop. Shifting is crisper and more responsive. less of a lurch during the shift. Feels fantastic. Even my troublesome 3rd gear feels better now. Only on upshift haha.
That's awesome What size tires do the SRT's come with stock, like 245's or something?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's awesome What size tires do the SRT's come with stock, like 245's or something?
205 50 17. But I think I've seen some at the dealership with 225s.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
205 50 17. But I think I've seen some at the dealership with 225s.
Holy crap those are small. I wonder how big of tires you can fit without rubbing?
Old 11-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Holy crap those are small. I wonder how big of tires you can fit without rubbing?
the 225s are techincally too big to be beneficial on the stock 17x6 inch rims.

the ACR model has 225 50 16s though, that's worth it. People fit 245 series tires pretty frequently with coilovers and spacers.

I'm looking at a 235-245/50/16 all around myself.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Too big to be useful for handling purposes, but not for traction purposes. And if I had an SRT4 I'd definitely trade some handling for some traction.

And don't you dare put a smaller diameter rim on there. Go bigger if anything, just make sure to go wider too. Who gives a flying f*ck if it rubs?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Too big to be useful for handling purposes, but not for traction purposes. And if I had an SRT4 I'd definitely trade some handling for some traction.

And don't you dare put a smaller diameter rim on there. Go bigger if anything, just make sure to go wider too. Who gives a flying f*ck if it rubs?
HAH Bigger is not always better, why do you think it is that the American Club Racing edition has a smaller size rim? They look great too! but wider will be better, got my eyes on hopefully a 16x8 possibly a 17x8

i've always been more focused on handling personally, i can always throw on slicks for drag. it's not like i intend to be racing my car all over the city so handling is more important to me when it's properly balanced

<guy in turbo eclipse>