Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default How to fix your ugly plastic headlights.

So here's what you do:

If your headlights are really bad, consider starting out with 320 grit wet. I did. Sand them until the discoloration is gone. After the first few times across the surface I could see cloudy yellow water, I sanded until the I got rid of all of the yellow. Not very long, just took a few mins.

Then, go over them with 600 grit wet. Do this until you feel that you've taken out all of the 320 scratches. Again, only took a few mins.

Clean them off really well with water.

Spray them with a few coats of 2K (two part) clear coat. As soon as you spray them, the sanding scratches will diappear and they will immediately look clear. It's cool to see.

Tada! Some will tell you that 1000 grit will give you better clarity. But I've also heard of adhesion problems with 1000 grit. And keep in mind, I spent less than 10 mins sanding these. They are my neon headlights, it was just an experiment. I'm sure I could have made them look even prettier had I spent more time on them.

They looked like this when I bought the car. (Forgot to take a before pic)

Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

That's interesting advice. I need to clean them on my truck. I bought the Mother's plastic polish for the task. Maybe I'll do each light using a different method. There's also the old toothpaste trick. I don't remember the details, only that it involved toothpaste.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I used the plastic polish, it will make them look a lot better, but they will quickly fog up again. If you want to use the polish without sealing the headlights, I would wet sand 320, then 600, then 1000, then 1500, then use the polish. Maybe skip the 320 if they aren't so bad. Using the polish without sanding won't do very much.

If you don't have access to spray equipment I suppose you could use a 1K (aerosol) can of clear. I don't see any reason that wouldn't work.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I used the plastic polish, it will make them look a lot better, but they will quickly fog up again. If you want to use the polish without sealing the headlights, I would wet sand 320, then 600, then 1000, then 1500, then use the polish. Maybe skip the 320 if they aren't so bad. Using the polish without sanding won't do very much.

If you don't have access to spray equipment I suppose you could use a 1K (aerosol) can of clear. I don't see any reason that wouldn't work.
I need to do this on my Suburban so I'll test it with the clear from a can since I already have a can of it.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Sweet, post a pic when you're done. Make sure to get the surface wet with the first coat. Otherwise you might not get rid of the scratches.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
That's interesting advice. I need to clean them on my truck. I bought the Mother's plastic polish for the task. Maybe I'll do each light using a different method. There's also the old toothpaste trick. I don't remember the details, only that it involved toothpaste.
I heard about that one. It works like this:
Brush your teeth then just before you rinse, you give each headlight a couple of licks.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

That's awesome Adam. The car stuff you figure out never ceases to amaze
Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
That's awesome Adam. The car stuff you figure out never ceases to amaze
Don't get tooo big of a head Adam. Anything more than changing oil on a car impresses Sean. That is about as far as his abilities go.

Relax Sean, I am proud of you... you actually get your hands dirty now.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 11-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Super Moderator

sean-may-not-be-a-grease-monkey,but-he-bought-a-reasonably-priced-car,put-on-a-pulley,paid-for-a-professional-tune-and-walked-out-with-450-wheel-hp.that's-smart-racing.

by-the-way,im-typing-at-shlotskys-deli-and-the-spacebar-and-caps-lock-don't-work,sorry.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
sean-may-not-be-a-grease-monkey,but-he-bought-a-reasonably-priced-car,put-on-a-pulley,paid-for-a-professional-tune-and-walked-out-with-450-wheel-hp.that's-smart-racing.

by-the-way,im-typing-at-shlotskys-deli-and-the-spacebar-and-caps-lock-don't-work,sorry.

cool-so-if-you-do-your-own-tuning-and-get-250-rear-wheel-hp-you-did-not-do-good.
that-was-tough-too-type.
2016 Nissan Altma