Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
Hey Sean..... Sounds interesting. Any chance of getting a bit of a confirmation when everyone gets together there? It's a bit of a drive to get there & I'm willing to do it; but I don't like the idea of going & "Oops.... two hours from now is when the get together happens.....".
LOL, I will DEFINITELY get you some kind of confirmation. I can't make it this weekend as it turns out anyway - I have to go to my friend's babies 1 year birthday. She's an awesome baby though - so it's cool.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
I, Vettezuki

What are market prices for a Notch Back that has a good chassis, ok panels/interior and toast driveline? I'm thinking it might be a good cost effective electric drag car platform. . .

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
What are market prices for a Notch Back that has a good chassis, ok panels/interior and toast driveline? I'm thinking it might be a good cost effective electric drag car platform. . .
The chassis aren't too bad, I think you could get one for less than 5k? I would LOVE to have an electric drag car...max torque at 0 RPM FTW.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
The chassis aren't too bad, I think you could get one for less than 5k? I would LOVE to have an electric drag car...max torque at 0 RPM FTW.
I was thinking more along the lines of $2k (Anthony got his for $900, but I'm guessing that's below average). There this kinda cool site I know, it might be a fun way to promote it. .

BTW, I know it's fun to say max torque at 0 rpm, but when we launch our cars hard we're close to max torque from launch, which is what counts. Serious auto drag cars with trans brake and hi stall TCs launch with more torque than the engine's peak torque. (Torque multiplication factor.)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
An explorer intake and diff huh? Do you know what the highest factory explorer diff ratio is? And those are all LSD right?
I honestly don't know what the highest gear ratio available in an Explorer is; I do know 3.73's are a dime a dozen in them. I look for the diff tag# 3L73 & I know that that it is a guaranteed 31-spline 3.73 LSD.

I imagine I'd be looking for a 4L10,4L11,4L30,4L56 rear diff tag number if they came with higher gear ratios.....
Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #16

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of $2k (Anthony got his for $900, but I'm guessing that's below average). There this kinda cool site I know, it might be a fun way to promote it. .

BTW, I know it's fun to say max torque at 0 rpm, but when we launch our cars hard we're close to max torque from launch, which is what counts. Serious auto drag cars with trans brake and hi stall TCs launch with more torque than the engine's peak torque. (Torque multiplication factor.)
Whoa... You can find 4-banger notch Mustangs all day long for under 1K. Real 5.0 notches don't come up often & typically are ragged out & fetch 2K-7K. The 5.0 hatches & convertibles either still don't rate or there are still too many of them out there to demand much over 1-2K unless it's inabove average condition and low mileage. With patience; there are some great deals out there.....
My '89 2.3 notch I bought for $500, my first '89 vert was $800, & the current '89 'vert was indeed $900.... All needed some "medium work" \ money invested to get into driver condition & of course more too go above that IMHO....
Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #17
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Whoa... You can find 4-banger notch Mustangs all day long for under 1K. Real 5.0 notches don't come up often & typically are ragged out & fetch 2K-7K. The 5.0 hatches & convertibles either still don't rate or there are still too many of them out there to demand much over 1-2K unless it's inabove average condition and low mileage. With patience; there are some great deals out there.....
My '89 2.3 notch I bought for $500, my first '89 vert was $800, & the current '89 'vert was indeed $900.... All needed some "medium work" \ money invested to get into driver condition & of course more too go above that IMHO....
Since I wouldn't care about the engine/trans, is there any fundamental difference in the chassis between the 4 bangers and the 5.0s? (Structural reinforcements.) Probably not I guess, but I'm guessing there must be quite a difference in the rear-end . . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Since I wouldn't care about the engine/trans, is there any fundamental difference in the chassis between the 4 bangers and the 5.0s? (Structural reinforcements.) Probably not I guess, but I'm guessing there must be quite a difference in the rear-end . . .
You are correct; the chassis are identical.

The differences in vehicle components:
engine
trans
rear diff assy (small diff w\7.5" ring gear versus larger diff w\8.8" ring gear)
{Whole diff assembly will interchange; control arms & mounting points are the same}
alternator harness
engine computer
motor mounts
trans mount
maybe trans cross member(my memory's a bit vague on it)
smaller 9" front discs & specific matching spindles
cheaper base cloth seats
85mph speedo versus V8 140(late '89-93)

There may be more, but i think I covered most of them.....
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
You are correct; the chassis are identical.

The differences in vehicle components:
engine
trans
rear diff assy (small diff w\7.5" ring gear versus larger diff w\8.8" ring gear)
{Whole diff assembly will interchange; control arms & mounting points are the same}
alternator harness
engine computer
motor mounts
trans mount
maybe trans cross member(my memory's a bit vague on it)
smaller 9" front discs & specific matching spindles
cheaper base cloth seats
85mph speedo versus V8 140(late '89-93)

There may be more, but i think I covered most of them.....
Cool, what's the cost of swapping out 8.8"? Will it take a 9" without too much hassle. Seems like a toast (but good chassis) 4-cyl is the way to go. I wouldn't care about any of that other stuff except diff.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #20

An 8.8 is almost as strong as a 9". If you plan on going faster than 10's; then you get a Currie "bolt in" nine inch. If not; the 8.8 will do quite nicely with some minor mods, (i can go into the details later if you like).
An 8.8 from a V8 '86-93 Mustang runs about $150 from any Pick-a part; complete from drum to drum. Often when found; the diffs have had a gear change. Last weekend there was one with 4.11's in the Pick-A-Part here in San Berdo......
Another option is to bolt in an 8.8 out of an '87-88 Thunder chicken turbo coupe..... The auto cars have a 3.73 LSD & the stick cars have the 3.55 LSD....... Both have rear discs as well.... The T-bird can also donate the 2.3 turbo setup.... If interested in the turbo coupe rear diff swap; go here: http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/