Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Default A wee update

Well, basically everything is great . . .except the cooling fans don't come on at their trigger temps. We're pretty much down to it being the computer itself (apparently it uses a pull up resistor for triggering the fan relay) or . . . gasp. . . the wiring harness. We've tested the relays, ground, and the fans themselves work fine. In fact, oddly, they come on during a cold start for about one minute, but then never come on again. We've tried 2 totally different custom programs and they behave exactly the same. The makers of the harness are going to send a new computer. Hopefully that works, if not, it's really starting to look like there is some mistake in the harness itself. I know we could work around it bypassing the computer completely and using a temp switch but I can't stand not knowing why something relatively simple isn't working as it should.

Other than that, it the little bit I've gotten to drive it, it's awesome. Pretty vicious, but still streetable. I'm a very patient person, but I really want to see this phase come to an end. . .

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
I, Vettezuki

Default Aha!

Found the problem with the cooling fans. Turns out it was nothing more than the pin out on the fan relay connector was reversed. The good news is that it took about 3 minutes to fix . . . unfortunately it took me about 2 months to find.

Now that that's out of the way I can finally turn my attention to buttoning up the remaining issues before scheduling a session with our lovely CA engine swap referee.

They are:
- charging A/C
- installing speedo and tach
- installing new Alt (investment in reliability as old one was putting out somewhat low voltage, then just about everything will be new or pretty new)
- finding out why the AIR pump relay isn't getting power; might just be a bad fuse link
- figure out what's drawing major current at all times
- dyno test/tune to make sure she's running clean

That being said, I got drive her a fair bit on Saturday. . . Wow, even in the currently somewhat un-tuned state, it's just a different world. Torque everywhere as well as rev happy . . . and when you get into the revs, watch out. She pulls hard beyond where I lose my nerve.

I do look forward to the 5 link rear suspension and modern wheels/tires for stability's sake. Right now I really have to be paying attention when I get anywhere near the go pedal.

Pics and videos within a week.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #13
Super Moderator

How does it handle with 17s? What size tires did you end up going with?

I feel your electric fan relay pains, I've been through 2 broken relays in the last 3 months. Just ordered a Painless kit, plan to install it tomorrow. On at 185, off at 170.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:03 AM   #14
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette
How does it handle with 17s? What size tires did you end up going with?

In comparison to the original 15s . . . uh, no comparison. I went with Nitto NT 450s, which have proven to be quite a good tire, especially for "just" a 255 section width. Since you last rode in it, I put in the VB&P Dual Mount Mono Spring in rear and 550lb Coil Springs up front. It's an overall huge difference. I'm considering putting in a 6 point cage to really stiffen it up, but I'm not sure yet. Hope you can come out to the track with us next time.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-02-2007, 03:07 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Awesome documentation. That rack and 'peanut' looks sexy, I want one for mine... maybe I'll steal yours when you're not lookin.

Yeah, I'll bet the difference in handling was shocking. Mine went from handling like a Jeep to handling... well you've been in my car. Sway bars too! I'm running the biggest bars that I could find, Fast Corvette up front and Addco out back.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:14 AM   #16
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette
Awesome documentation. That rack and 'peanut' looks sexy, I want one for mine... maybe I'll steal yours when you're not lookin.

Yeah, I'll bet the difference in handling was shocking. Mine went from handling like a Jeep to handling... well you've been in my car. Sway bars too! I'm running the biggest bars that I could find, Fast Corvette up front and Addco out back.
I know where you live. I love the feel of a manual rack. I wish it were perhaps just a touch faster ratio. . . maybe a smaller steering wheel will give the feeling I'm looking for. But now we're talking about details.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #17

Wow.... Nice work & i'm certain it'll move!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #18
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
Wow.... Nice work & i'm certain it'll move!
You should see my 60' burnout. I'm pretty sure your supposed to go forward, but I haven't worked that out so well yet On street tires at Fontana, I average 13.4 @ 109 with 2.4 60'. My best of 13.2 @ 111 is still faster than Seans 04' Cobra though. Something I "occasionally" remind him of.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #19
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You should see my 60' burnout. I'm pretty sure your supposed to go forward, but I haven't worked that out so well yet On street tires at Fontana, I average 13.4 @ 109 with 2.4 60'. My best of 13.2 @ 111 is still faster than Seans 04' Cobra though. Something I "occasionally" remind him of.
Nice runs. That's the first time I didn't want a FORD to hit the traps first. Still, damn nice runs.

Funny thing here-a little brain damage-I have NEVER lost to a FORD and I'm a FORD guy. Been beat by Hemis, 440s, 427/454 Chevelle, 69 Camaro 302 (so he said) and 455 Judge, but never a FORD. I'm sure there are many FORDs out there faster than my Vette, just been lucky not to run against one.

Now in my 64 Fairlane Hipo 289- I raced a "REAL" 67 Vette L88-- blew my doors off. Got my 64 Vette a year later. Like I said - Brain Damage.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #20
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn64vette View Post
Nice runs. That's the first time I didn't want a FORD to hit the traps first. Still, damn nice runs.

Funny thing here-a little brain damage-I have NEVER lost to a FORD and I'm a FORD guy. Been beat by Hemis, 440s, 427/454 Chevelle, 69 Camaro 302 (so he said) and 455 Judge, but never a FORD. I'm sure there are many FORDs out there faster than my Vette, just been lucky not to run against one.

Now in my 64 Fairlane Hipo 289- I raced a "REAL" 67 Vette L88-- blew my doors off. Got my 64 Vette a year later. Like I said - Brain Damage.

FWIW, that Stang is Roush Stage something or other, and was on DRs. With DRs, I think it'd be a good heads up race.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)