Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Default SBF experts needed

I am putting my 68 GT/CS back together. I had a blown 347 stroker in it, but crashed it and broke the blower. I'm now thinking I'll install a bigger solid roller cam and high compression pistons, an air gap intake, and a 750 CFM carb.

Anyone recommend a good cam? I'll be running 4.11 gears through an AOD with a 3000 stall converter. I have aluminum Dart Pro1 heads (2.02/1.60 valves, 195cc runners), Thorley long tube headers and 2 1/2" magnaflow exhaust with an X pipe.

Also, any recommendations on a good piston that'll give me ~11:1 compression with a 62 CC combustion chamber? Any problems I might run into? Piston to valve clearance, maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
I am putting my 68 GT/CS back together. I had a blown 347 stroker in it, but crashed it and broke the blower. I'm now thinking I'll install a bigger solid roller cam and high compression pistons, an air gap intake, and a 750 CFM carb.

Anyone recommend a good cam? I'll be running 4.11 gears through an AOD with a 3000 stall converter. I have aluminum Dart Pro1 heads (2.02/1.60 valves, 195cc runners), Thorley long tube headers and 2 1/2" magnaflow exhaust with an X pipe.

Also, any recommendations on a good piston that'll give me ~11:1 compression with a 62 CC combustion chamber? Any problems I might run into? Piston to valve clearance, maybe?
Probe makes good pistons. I'm running a set of the SRS pistons in the Cobra. If you're going to run it on pump gas I wouldn't go over 10.5:1. With a flat top with two valve reliefs you should get around 10.30-10.4.

For a cam I wouldn't go much over 240 duration @ .050 with a 110-112 lobe seperation with a 3000 stall unless you run more compression and race fuel. And with our little SBF exhaust ports I favor the exhaust side. Something along the lines of this Crane cam. Or if you want to stick to a hydraulic roller run something like this Lunati cam.

Then use a Performer RPM Air Gap manifold and your 750HP carb.