Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

Default JDM Transmission Shops????

Hey import guys, I'm going back to the 4 banger side of things. Letting my Uncle take my Fox body and taking back my 99 Prelude Sh back. Only problem is, i need a new oil pan, k member, and transmission. I'm lookin for a JDM shop that does the swaps on the cheap but good quality. I think my shift fork is broken because my car no longer goes into reverse (reverse is kinda important no?). If anyone knows any shops nearby la area, or orange county area that can swap my tranny out or at least sell one with a warranty and i can install it, i would appreciate any info! Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by 89StangGuy : 12-09-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: type o
Old 12-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89StangGuy View Post
Hey import guys, I'm going back to the 4 banger side of things. Letting my Uncle take my Fox body and taking back my 99 Prelude Sh back. Only problem is, i need a new oil pan, k member, and transmission. I'm lookin for a JDM shop that does the swaps on the cheap but good quality. I think my shift fork is broken because my car no longer goes into reverse (reverse is kinda important no?). If anyone knows any shops nearby la area, or orange county area that can swap my tranny out or at least sell one with a warranty and i can install it, i would appreciate any info! Thanks in advance guys.
Cheap and quality don't usually go together. I don't know about that trans, but the your Reverse problem could be because of a Reverse lockout solenoid problem.

PS Why the switch back? Mileage?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Cheap and quality don't usually go together. I don't know about that trans, but the your Reverse problem could be because of a Reverse lockout solenoid problem.

PS Why the switch back? Mileage?
Well, cheap wasn't the right word i was looking for. I'm looking for a good deal. I had a shop look at it and they told me it was going to need new synchros but every gear works fine except reverse. So i was thinking either reverse lockout, or the shift fork. Either way it has alot of miles on it and i would feel safer just swapping it out for another if i can.

And as for the switch back, yes something along those lines. He needs a daily driver because he uses a big truck for commuting and he fills up every 4 days with $100 each fill up. I owe him favors and money for performance parts, so i told him just bring me back my Honda and I'll give you back the Mustang. He agreed so i should have the Honda within the next month or whenever the weather permits him to tow it to California. It's a nice little car though. 99 Prelude, Head Unit, Subs and Amp, Aem cold air intake, exhaust, headers, good paint job. I'm going to bring the Mustang one last time to the motorgen meet, then after that I will be bringing the Prelude. Kinda down-grading on performance but it'll get me around. It's a manual transmission I'm in need of BTW.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

We all just do what we can and there ain't nothing wrong with a Prelude. You might want to check LKQ Corp for a used tranny out of low mileage wreck. They have a yard right here in Santa Fe Springs. Effecient straight forward operation. Also, you might even ask AutoZone if they have rebuilds available. A lot of time they will come with a 12/12,000 warranty are fairly generous on the core charge. Maybe you could to the labor yourself, or maybe work out a payment with enkeivette, who will be on break here pretty soon and might be looking for little side jobs. He's done lots of work on his FWD Neon over the years and could handle that just fine I'm sure. That's probably going to be about your least expensive route.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
We all just do what we can and there ain't nothing wrong with a Prelude. You might want to check LKQ Corp for a used tranny out of low mileage wreck. They have a yard right here in Santa Fe Springs. Effecient straight forward operation. Also, you might even ask AutoZone if they have rebuilds available. A lot of time they will come with a 12/12,000 warranty are fairly generous on the core charge. Maybe you could to the labor yourself, or maybe work out a payment with enkeivette, who will be on break here pretty soon and might be looking for little side jobs. He's done lots of work on his FWD Neon over the years and could handle that just fine I'm sure. That's probably going to be about your least expensive route.
Thats sounding like a good plan to me. I also have an exedy stage 2 clutch and pressure plate and flywheel. I think i will go to autozone and see if they have anything for my car. Only problem is it's a type SH. It has an atts Unit that is only for type SH's. If i were to get a standard transmission, the half shafts would have to be modified and i would have to use different axles or some bs like that. Maybe i will drop enkivette a line when i get everything figured out. Well see if anyone else chimes in though. THanks for the ideas.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #6

I was walking to class today and saw a prelude with a sticker that said socalprelude.com, give that site a shot with your questions. Can't be the clutch fork or else your clutch wouldn't be able to engage/disengage period.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
I was walking to class today and saw a prelude with a sticker that said socalprelude.com, give that site a shot with your questions. Can't be the clutch fork or else your clutch wouldn't be able to engage/disengage period.
Oh ok. So then it's most likely the 5th gear synchro or something. Thanks for the reply brian
Old 12-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #8

Look at LKQ or even ebay. Ive used LKQ several times for my and my friends, always good service with them.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 12-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Super Moderator

On my Neon trans I think reverse is straight cut, so it doesn't go in as easily. That's what she said. Have you tried letting up on the clutch slowly while trying to push it in reverse? Sometimes this is the only way I can do it in my Neon.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #10

reverse probably doesn't have a synchro, idiot proof.