Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #291
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Turbos make a really cool sound and they look neat. The kids will love it and it's a bit of a crossover back into "import" thinking. I don't want to fully tip my hand, but there is a method to my madness.
Ya da boss!
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
The main support and the valley girdle are two different things. The main support ties all the main caps together. The valley girdle is like a truss that stiffens the valley to help keep the block from flexing.
I've actually seen 302 blocks that split right down the middle of the valley. That's why I installed a valley girdle and main girdle on my 347 stroker once I cranked it up over 550 HP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #293
Fast & Filthy

Here's a DSS main support system.

Here's a valley girdle.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #294
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Here's a DSS main support system.

Here's a valley girdle.
So, out of curiosity, what's the safe upper limit for BHP when using BOTH. As I recall, Troy said 650BHP with only a main support.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #295

Quote:
So, out of curiosity, what's the safe upper limit for BHP when using BOTH. As I recall, Troy said 650BHP with only a main support.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't try to make 650 HP on one of these blocks without a valley girdle.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #296

Wow, you guys are throwing out some big number for horse power!!! How fast you guys want to go???? 650HP??? This is not a fat ass termi you guys are building... 450hp your going high 10s??? You guys are planing to build to much power, its almost overkill. 650hp with about the same weight your mid 9s. And any one really drive something that light with that power? Boost is nasty, when it hits, you better grab on to your nuts and keep your eyes down track. I think traction is going to be your main issuse. Anyone ever throw out the idea of a 11:1 set up with some spray?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #297
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtpony View Post
Wow, you guys are throwing out some big number for horse power!!! How fast you guys want to go???? 650HP??? This is not a fat ass termi you guys are building... 450hp your going high 10s??? You guys are planing to build to much power, its almost overkill. 650hp with about the same weight your mid 9s. And any one really drive something that light with that power? Boost is nasty, when it hits, you better grab on to your nuts and keep your eyes down track. I think traction is going to be your main issuse. Anyone ever throw out the idea of a 11:1 set up with some spray?
In order for Sean to have a chance at running 11s, we have to build a 9 second car. . .

I'm just exploring the upper ranges of what's possible with the base materials we have. This is not a plan of what we're building. The purpose of the car isn't just to be a practical Get'r Done car, otherwise I'd definitely go hi comp + NO2.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #298

Quote:
PS We *might* go twin turbo on RX-Snake. And especially because it's off road only, I'm thinking maybe to go E85. We're going to need some of your experience if we do.
ya for sure im down to help where i can. are u still gonna keep it carbed twin turbo or go throttle body/fuel injection?

also for a turbo dont ever get a turbonetics always go garret....and if you have the money twin scrolled turbo will help out spool up...it should be relatively cheap if you making your own exhaust system.....which means i can do anti-lag on a V-8 OMG!!! i just creamed.

**Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
**Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
**Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
**Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #299
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* View Post
ya for sure im down to help where i can. are u still gonna keep it carbed twin turbo or go throttle body/fuel injection?

also for a turbo dont ever get a turbonetics always go garret....and if you have the money twin scrolled turbo will help out spool up...it should be relatively cheap if you making your own exhaust system.....which means i can do anti-lag on a V-8 OMG!!! i just creamed.

The idea is to be bad ass on a budget and interesting. So probably Blow Through Carb instead of TBI. She'll be a trailer queen so it's okay to be a bit of a bitch.

As for turbo kits, I was looking at one of the dumb cheap eBay Fox Body Turbo Kits. Let me get the link . . .

Ah here it is. Tel me what you see good and bad. We'll deal with the fitment. Our displacement is 5L. Considering this car will be well below 3,000lbs race weight, probably something on the order of 500WHP is plenty.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #300
Power's off.

ITHINKI would start with a basic N/A, work the bugs out. Dial in the suspension/fuel/brake/handling/safety/practical issues first. THENstart adding/modifying/changing stuff. You have to start somewhere, and walking before running is always good. Work out the basics first. It's not like you can't/won't be changing things when it's done. Race cars constantly morph.